As a service? Windows 7, 8 or 10?

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have just bought a optiplex 790 with 8gb memory and 500gb disc.

I can install windows 7, 8 or 10. Which is preferable?

And I am reading about uac and autostart bi. But why not run it as a service?

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Windows 10
Run as service
Activate hardware acceleration

I hope u got that system for less than100$
It's pretty old

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I did. It is dedicated for only this job. I did run bi on the same hardware with other programs aside. Without troubles. I have attached 8 cameras (non HD). I hope this will do the job. What is the most limiting factor in this setup? Processor?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd love for someone to give technical reasons for why it must be windows 10, I mean if you have the option because you pirated it then yeah I guess, but given he has an older machine Windows 7 will probably use less resources, also running as a service is over rated, the number of times I've had BI Just die is zero, if you need it to be able to restart itself all the time you probably have other problems lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Also running as a service doesn't always guarantee a software will just magically come back up depending on why it died.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love for someone to give technical reasons for why it must be windows 10, I mean if you have the option because you pirated it then yeah I guess, but given he has an older machine Windows 7 will probably use less resources, also running as a service is over rated, the number of times I've had BI Just die is zero, if you need it to be able to restart itself all the time you probably have other problems lol.

For starters win 7 is will be end of life in less than 3 years...Most folks don't want to pay for an OS again... Windows 7 is no less resource intensive than 10...

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am in the happy circumstanc that I have a legal option to download and use windows 7 till windows 10.

I hope to start the bi server after a power outage. This would be the reason to run it as a service. What would be the downside to run is as a service?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in the happy circumstanc that I have a legal option to download and use windows 7 till windows 10.

I hope to start the bi server after a power outage. This would be the reason to run it as a service. What would be the downside to run is as a service?
With Windows 7 you cannot run as a service and use hardware acceleration....You can use task scheduler to Auto start blue Iris... There are several threads with instructions...Also see blue Iris tool's

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thnx. But why should I do this instead of run as a service?

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, but I meant with windows 10. Because I didn't get a real good reason not to use windows 10.

nt2007

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, but I meant with windows 10. Because I didn't get a real good reason not to use windows 10.
I ran BI for years on Windows 7 and it was very stable but as mentioned it will go out of support and less and less patches are written now for it. So when I upgraded to BI version 4 I installed it on Windows 10 which is just as stable. I run it as a service because I run automatic updates and reboot so it's the cleanest way to set it up.
My experience has been once you're done tweaking BI it runs forever.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running 8.1 on my WmC server which is AMD.
I am thinking about combining BI and WMC in one i5 6500 machine.