Assistance with Cam Location?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All-

Looking for some assistance with selecting a cam for my upstairs hallway location. The specs I would like are:

-Dome / Turret Cam (Indoor)
-Day/Night ability
-3 MP or Higher
-POE
-IR Illumination will need to be somewhere around 20-30 feet (have not actually measured it...just guessing)

I am thinking about going with the Hikvision Turret 3 MP. I see most places it comes with a 4mm lens and I am just wondering if that will be wide enough to capture the area.

Thanks for all the help...I really appreciate it.

Pic of the area:

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your overall goal of the camera? To get a picture of a face coming in the door? If so that location may be to high unless the person looks up. What is under the 2nd step of steps? is it a closet or space you can gain access to you?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Hikvision 2332 4mm camera will work, but like spyfly asked, what is your goal?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From a post I made in a different thread...

A very quick and dirty method of lens calculation for 1/3" CCD Cameras .... (found on the internettywebby and it's worked for me, so no kudos or cabbages expected)

1. What area size do you want to view (sometimes the horizontal size is relevant, sometimes its the vertical.. use whichever is the most important)
2. How far away will the camera be

And the sum is..

Camera distance x 4.8 / size = lens focal length

Then use the lens that is the closest number down

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
spyfly81 and blake-

Overall goal of camera is to see someone coming up the stairs.....

I don't necessary need to see specific face recognition at door but I am sure I would be able to see someone standing just inside the door which is fine. The main goal is just for the stairway.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can use the 2332 there if you can run the cat5/6 cable for it. As with anything else,pre test it. Order one run a cable back to your poe switch log into it and hold it up with your hand on somehow temp mount it to see if you like the field of view.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While a 4mm looks like it would work, for that close and seeing all the stairs I go with a 2.8 lens. That's just by guessing and looking at the photo provided. I use both 4mm and 2.8mm a lot and I have 15 of each on my shelves right now. In a room trying to cover as much as possible indoors I use the 2.8. Hallway or general outdoor shot I would use 4mm.

I use these from LTS. (username milkisbad on this forum)

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/cmip3032-28.html

To me a 2.8mm lens in the full 3mp view for that aspect ratio in the Hiks would be perfect, than again hard to tell when not there in person. The shot provided cuts off areas I'd think you would want, so wider lens is better. 3mp view gives you more from top to bottom, 2mp mode on the same camera gives you a more widescreen aspect like your photo.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think in that tight of an area you will want a 2.8mm lens and I think the 2532 would be a better fit as it is much smaller then the 2332

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2.8 is like 90 degrees and with that close distance seems the most appropriate to me.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone so far for the assistance...I really appreciate it. I just got done looking at the specs / prices / etc of the 2532. I def like it considering the size and how discrete it is. My only concern thus far is if the IR's are going to be powerful enough...there are only 10 IR bulbs I believe and most likely only good for 10-15 feet. I would imagine from the upstairs hallway ceiling (where this will be mounted) to the foyer below has got to be at least 15 feet....

Thoughts....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2532 should be fine there...there are lots things in the area where ir light can reflect off....