Asus AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Gents
I Purchased this router for the purpose of adding OPENVPN so I can view my cameras on my phone when I am not at home, I was reading some of the reviews on amazon and someone claim the IPAD'S do not work with this router, does anybody has an IPAD and this router and is working? I been reading in this forum and it seems this is a popular router, another question, with OPENVPN installed on this router, can Netflix and amazon prime work?
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello Gents
I Purchased this router for the purpose of adding OPENVPN so I can view my cameras on my phone when I am not at home, I was reading some of the reviews on amazon and someone claim the IPAD'S do not work with this router, does anybody has an IPAD and this router and is working? I been reading in this forum and it seems this is a popular router, another question, with OPENVPN installed on this router, can Netflix and amazon prime work?
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie
Wifi is wifi. Apple devices should be able to work on any router with wifi.
Maybe there is an ASUS app for configuration of the router that is not available for Apple devices. Setup the router with a PC.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Gents
Thanks for your comments, this is the router I purchased:
Asus AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router with MU-Mimo, Aimesh for Mesh WIFI System, Aiprotection Network Security Powered by Trend Micro, Adaptive Qos and Parental Control (RT-AC68U),Black

Regards.
Chewie

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your new ASUS Model RT-AC68U router will work just fine to connect back to your home cameras using OpenVPN. There is nothing to install on your router. The OpenVPN server is a feature you enable and then configure. You then install OpenVPN software on your client devices you intend to use remotely. Pick the proper flavor software for Windows, Android, iOS, etc. You do not use the VPN feature to connect to the internet when your device is connected to your LAN at home. Netflix and Amazon Prime work just fine on your devices on your LAN at home. When connected to your LAN via the VPN, they will also work on your remote devices.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you all I am happy camper , I purchased this router to replace the Spectrum Router, glad to see that not much to worry about, I still not received the router from amazon is about 3 weeks for delivery.
Thanks again for all the comments.
Regards.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello All
I got my router early it was delivered last Friday, I set it up over the weekend and is working fine, I setup the OPENVPN server on the router, setup my PC as client and also my phone as client and they both connect fine to the router, I want to know how do I view my cameras?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Open up OpenVPN on your phone and then type in the IP address you use to view the camera footage when at home on the home network.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Gents
I use blue iris to monitor my cameras, On the phone I am using OpenVPN connect and OpenVPN, does blue Iris has a single IP address?
Please let me know.
Regards.
Chewie

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it will be the IP address of the BI server. You must know the address?

If not, then go to that computer, open a command prompt (type "cmd" in the search line), and at the prompt type "ipconfig"

It will show the IP address of the machine.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all of you, I have never used any other program to view the cameras from out side my house.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello All
Question- is the client.ovpn file the same for PC and phone?
Please let me know.
Regards.
Chewie

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the client.ovpn file is made by the router and placed on the PC. It is then coped (moved) to the phone. The client.vpn file is the same on the PC and the phone. I use a pc laptop and a android phone, both use the same client.ovpn

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks SY, and that is what I did but the phone only connects to my server on the router, what do I have to do to connect to my PC and see cameras? do I have to add more profiles to the OpenVPN connect, if I do, I have the the IP address of my PC but the app ask me to enter User ID and PW, I don't have this information just the IP.
Regards.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if the PC is on the local network with the BI machine. just enter the IP address of the BI PC with the configured Port number in a web browser.

I use port 8081 so I enter 192.168.1.235:8081 . My BI PC is 192.168.1.235.

If you are using a laptop that is on the internet you use OpenVPN to connect to your local network then enter the same IP address

webSetting.jpg

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks you Sir. I would give it a shot.
Regards.
Chewie

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello SY I try to access blue Iris using the Web Browser and is asking for an ID and password, I try the computer name and device password where i have blue iris and nothing works, does blue Iris have a ID NAME AND PASS WORD? I also trying to get my phone to see my cameras, but still not able to.
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes BI has and ID and password. You can set different types of access for different users. I do not use any of that stuff, all of my one use has admin privilege.

In the Blue Iris settings , look at the user tab

BruceWayne007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Gents
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie
Hello there,
Did you have any luck getting OpenVPN setup on your Asus DD-WRT router? I have been battling this for several weeks of on and off working on it.