Asus routers and VPN

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From what little I've read, Open VPN is more secure than PPTP.

For any of you using Open VPN especially as it may relate with an Asus router, are there any recommendations or special considerations when setting up the various parameters? I just managed to get the thing working with my ATT Uverse modem/router. It appears that all my connectivity is working and I just have started at looking into the VPN portion.

My TV's are all still connected to the ATT moden/lan ports. Computers, phones and the NVR will all be on the Asus. I have disabled all firewall on the ATT modem. That was what was recommended by the poster at the ATT forum with the steps to add the Asus. So as of now unless I try re-enabling the firewall on the ATT modem, it will be done by the Asus. So once again, any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations will be appreciated.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Generally speaking, for starters, you'd typically not have anything except the ASUS router connected to the ATT modem/router if you have it set (more or less) to bridge/pass-through mode (or, with firewall turned off).

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I re-enabled all the default FIREWALL settings in the NVG589 ATT modem/router and everything seems to still be working. There is at least one TV receiver that I can't disconnect because it uses a coax/ethernet medium. The Asus doesn't have that type of port. There is also a VEN501 cisco wireless video bridge connected to the ATT modem along with two standard RJ45 ethernet TV receivers.

My thoughts were that someone won't be hacking my tv receivers (but maybe I'm wrong) either way, they are still connected like they always were. If I have any issues with ATT and have that requires a trouble ticket, all their stuff is still intact for troubleshooting. If I move over to the Asus, I would have to put back in order for them to troubleshoot.

So this was all done as a result of having an NVR online 24/7. We do have a desktop that stays on as well. I was just wanting a secure way where I could remotely access the network.

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been unable so far to get the OpenVPN server working on my newly purchased router so I decided to call the number on the card frpm Asus entitled, Having Trouble Call Us"

I told the person that I was having issues setting up the VPN and wanted to verify the settings. He put me on hold to talk to his supervisor then came back ans said they do not offer any VPN support, even to verify their settings.

I had tried to email them a few days ago and they just send some links that seem to be an overview and not thorough enough to complete the task. Needless to say, I'm not too happy.

Anyway, where I'm at now. I have set up as much as I thought was needed on the OpenVPN server portion. I have created a DDNS on Asuscomm.com and can ping it using the link in the router GUI. I have installed the OpenVPN client on my android phone and I fill in a name, my ddns address, username and password (matching my router in the server) and click add. After a minute is says "Failed to import profile"

Not sure about all the settings on the router, if there is a box that needs checking,enabled,etc. I verified that my firewall on my main router/modem is turned off and should be operating in pass through since it doesn't have a bridge mode.

Anyone know what the issue may be? I'm using a RT-AC68U router

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you import the OVPN file onto your phone?

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for both replies. I had created the file but hadn't imported it to the phone.

Now I can connect with the opvn option but not with the ''connect to server' option.

I'm done for the day but want I have to connect with the '''connect to server's option?

At least making some progress.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for both replies. I had created the file but hadn't imported it to the phone.

Now I can connect with the opvn option but not with the ''connect to server' option.

I'm done for the day but want I have to connect with the '''connect to server's option?

At least making some progress.
Choose OPVN profile to connect, NOT connect to server option.

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can connect over the web with VPN. After connecting, if I enter the IP address for the router, the login page pops up quickly. If I enter the IP address for the nvr, it's slow but I eventually get a login box. After I enter my credentials, it just sits there. However if I intentionally enter the wrong user or password, it immediately informs me I have 4 tries left. So I am making the connection, the NVR is just extremely slow or not responding. I have had the screens load but rarely. It ends up timing out.

Since the response from the router is instant, and response from nvr is instant on incorrect user/password I'm a bit confused.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello all. I’m looking to buy a Router so I can get started on openVPN. Looking at Asus rt-ac86u, rt-ax88u, and gt-ax1100. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you SouternYankee. What about the defrance between “ac” and “ax”?

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
After reading the VPN Primer for Noobs I set up my Asus RT-AC87U router using NordVPN as my OpenVPN client. All was well until I sat down to watch YoutubeTV and Amazon Prime video on my appleTV. Nord explained I couldn’t use the VPN and use these apps. Is there a workaround for streaming service providers?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should not be using or paying for nordvpn, that is used to mask you presents on the internet. Openvpn is yours to protect your home network from remote access.

You have it set up incorrectly. Junk nordvpn.

If you have an Asus router it easy to set up oprnvpn

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new quest! I’m a networking neophyte. Thanks for the direction!

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
You should not be using or paying for nordvpn, that is used to mask you presents on the internet. Openvpn is yours to protect your home network from remote access.

You have it set up incorrectly. Junk nordvpn.

If you have an Asus router it easy to set up oprnvpn[/QUOTE

Please know I have been searching for an answer to my question but can’t seem to find it using google. If I set up my router for openVPN use, I get that I will need to provide credentials to access the network with my phone. How are media devices like AppleTVs and Rikus setup. Very sorry for the ignorance. This Networking jargon has my head spinning.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve got my dsl-ac68u firmware’d up as a rt-ac68u so that I could put it into access point mode as my provider has their own modem/router which can’t be changed. I never noticed this before but when put into access point mode the ddns and vpn options disappear.

Don’t know what to do now as I was simply hoping to use the router. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do or is it a case that I’ll have to configure this on maybe the BI machine itself?

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks loony2ns! Before reading over the networking information I used to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person.