Attempt at car theft. 1080p Dahua ip.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This was a attempt at stealing stuff out of my cars. Recorded on a Dahua 1080p ip dome. My first Dahua chinese hacked cam. I have replaced it with a 8mp from Andy sense then. Hoping to get better face images. I also installed another 8mp above the garage door zoomed in between the cars. Should make the face about 30% of the image. I have noticed the attempts are always between my cars, never on the outsides. At least 6 times last year.

Edit: Re doing the clip. Its corrupted. Stand by.....

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
6 times ouch. Thats alot. Where i live its organised criminals (with groups of 3-4 at a time) from other countrys that comes and takes expensive carparts like stearingwheels/airbag, GPS, stereos and then ship it back. But thats Europe.
Good thing it atleast was not aggressive break in or more than one. Looks like a young person.
Hopefully you get a good faceshot to show to the cops next time with the new 8MP.

The problem at night is usually that the camera cant use short enough shuttertimes for sharp images of moving subjects.
To solve this one need STARVIS and/or coupled with extra IR lights. More cameras help as each add IR light of there own. I am atm trying with 1/120 daytime and 1/60 nightime exposure to see if thats good enough.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 8mp Dahua I bought from Andy is STARVIS. I have not adjusted any cam settings yet. I will play with the night profile this weekend. Everything thats sin happens at night any how.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea. It seems the sheen on the plants reflects all that light making a bright spot.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This was a attempt at stealing stuff out of my cars. Recorded on a Dahua 1080p ip dome. My first Dahua chinese hacked cam. I have replaced it with a 8mp from Andy sense then. Hoping to get better face images. I also installed another 8mp above the garage door zoomed in between the cars. Should make the face about 30% of the image. I have noticed the attempts are always between my cars, never on the outsides. At least 6 times last year.

Edit: Re doing the clip. Its corrupted. Stand by.....
Hi GS,

Thanks for sharing!

What I would do:

Add a Dahua OEM starlight to the middle of the garage looking start down between the 2 cars, run that in color mode. This way you get 2 images - a B&W and a color. This gives you additional data.
Add a bit more light to the area - if needed maybe a motion sensor triggered light, you can also hook this into your alarm / cameras to alert you. ( maybe just a motion sensor to trigger an alert without additional light )

Looking forward to hearing about the next attempt - if you hook up an alert maybe you get to have the police arrive in time?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
People going around at night checking for unlocked car doors is a common occurrence. In my neighborhood a guy got about $2K worth of tools stolen out of his vehicle that he forgot to lock. He lives about 7 houses away but he know I had cameras. While I was reviewing the video on the vehicle that the person was driving that broke into his truck I noticed someone else going around checking car doors. This guy was only doing cars parked in the driveways for some reason.

He also has Wi-Fi cameras but I guess they are not that good at night. He was amazed at how much better my cameras were at night. I now have nothing less than a 1/2.8" sensor and I am upgrading some cameras to a Dahau 1/1.9" or Hikvision 1/1.8" sensor for even better night vision. All are 2MP except one is a 3MP. I live on the corner of a 4 way intersection and have 15 cameras to check on the goings and comings all the way around the house.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People going around at night checking for unlocked car doors is a common occurrence. In my neighborhood a guy got about $2K worth of tools stolen out of his vehicle that he forgot to lock. He lives about 7 houses away but he know I had cameras. While I was reviewing the video on the vehicle that the person was driving that broke into his truck I noticed someone else going around checking car doors. This guy was only doing cars parked in the driveways for some reason.

He also has Wi-Fi cameras but I guess they are not that good at night. He was amazed at how much better my cameras were at night. I now have nothing less than a 1/2.8" sensor and I am upgrading some cameras to a Dahau 1/1.9" or Hikvision 1/1.8" sensor for even better night vision. All are 2MP except one is a 3MP. I live on the corner of a 4 way intersection and have 15 cameras to check on the goings and comings all the way around the house.
Hi Parley, would enjoy seeing any good video captures of this, especially a comparison and contrast of different cameras he may have vs what you have.

@GSMarquis - for outdoors skip the Domes and go with the Turret - IPC-HDW5231R-Z is what I would get - that has been well tested here for low light conditions.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Parley, would enjoy seeing any good video captures of this, especially a comparison and contrast of different cameras he may have vs what you have.

@GSMarquis - for outdoors skip the Domes and go with the Turret - IPC-HDW5231R-Z is what I would get - that has been well tested here for low light conditions.
I have the Z12 version of that camera but I do not have it set up exclusively for license plates. However at the right angle with headlights on you can make out some blurry numbers and letters. Someone at the FBI or CIA could probably use filters and get useful information off the plate. However the local police are not going to go to that effort unless it was a murder case. The other camera I am going to is the Dahua IPC-HFW8232E-Z 2MP Starlight IR Bullet Network Camera. I placed the order on the 10th from Andy and it will be here on Monday. Andy is the man. I had already bought one from him earlier and I like the camera in the low light conditions.

I have not seen the neighbors cameras so I do not know how good they are. However I can imagine when my cameras had the 1/3" sensors like the Hikvison DS-2032 which looked great during the day but were lacking at night.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I am putting a list together for Andy to price out for me. Just have to wait a month for my buying of equipment has gone a bit far this month. Plus just bought a nvr 6a08-32-4ks2 and two 4tb WD purples. Next order will be 4-5 more cams and a wall mount.

Also just had to re pull my current 12 cams locations. It was CCA, not solid copper. Running POE on clad....I guess is fine at really low wattage like 1-5. Some of the cams I ordered spec 13+ watts. I had the box of CCA for years. Had no idea it was CCA until I stripped some back, so that was another $180 for two boxes.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also just had to re pull my current 12 cams locations. It was CCA, not solid copper. Running POE on clad....I guess is fine at really low wattage like 1-5. Some of the cams I ordered spec 13+ watts. I had the box of CCA for years. Had no idea it was CCA until I stripped some back,..
Ouch, that hurts...

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup and I have a 3 level home. All runs originate from the basement utility room to everywhere. Had to recut several drywall holes and patch again. The silver lining was my old CCA cable made a great pull string.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered... do you have a two car garage? If yes, are you able to fit the vehicles inside? Seems the door checker zombies are unstoppable.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two car and they fit. However I also have twin toddlers and twin big wheels, twin bikes, twin power wheels, twin etc. and etc. I really have one spot thats clear enough for a car. The Suburban, I have to fold in mirrors to get it in and its kinda a PITA. I may have about 1.5 inch of free room between the rear and the garage door. So its just easier to leave them outside.

I will be adding another cam between the garage doors right above the header. I will zoom it in between the cars. I have the wall mount for domes and turrets already. I think its a PFB203W. I have a brick front so mounting directly on the wall will allow water behind the cam. I used the same bracket on my driveway cam.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems the door checker zombies are unstoppable.
I live in what looks to be a quiet neighborhood. However the car door checkers do come around quite often. They either have backpacks or a bag to carry the stolen goodies in. The time frame seems to be between 3am and sunrise. At least those are the times I have caught them on camera.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same here 3am-5am always. Always between cars or whatever side is farthest from a window of the house.

I was thinking about setting up a motion delay trigger to play a audio file clip of a short wierd noise. Something to make the criminal look at the speaker placed right at the camera. Might be able to get a direct face shot.

Maybe a fart noise....lol.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wake up 4:30am and immediately take the pups outside to relieve themselves. To exit the house we egress via the garage door which takes 10 seconds to open, warning all within earshot. When we make our way outside I occasionally see a teenager walking down the street. If the dogs growl, the walker turns into a jogger. I can't help but think they were up to no good but can't confirm!

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I installed a 2mp starlight z12 bullet from Andy under my soffit. It points to the bike path where the sinners walk to my culdesac. The full wide shot, the part in the trees is the end of my driveway. You can see the bike path straight across. BTW it's so dark you can't see it with your eyes. This cam does well. My goal is to get face shot as they walk up the path.

Attachments