Attempted burglary and mail theft at homes on my street - is this camera enough?

Reaction score
Hello,

It seems that there were several attempted mailbox thefts and maybe more down the street where I reside last night.

I do not have cameras setup at the front gate yet @fenderman @nayr @hmjgriffon @Kawboy12R and want to do it right.

I have a LTS/Hikvision NVR but can purchase a new NVR if needed.

Below are the images from my neighbors' camera at her gate, unfortunately the quality is not that great...how would you improve it? what setup would you have to get clear images???

How about adding an audible alarm when certain cameras are activated? can that be done?

What do you all recommend?

You are my community police, please help!

Thank you!!

TPW

Mike Mo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Better optical zoom. Focus seems off. Autofocus looks like tree leaves on the left are more in focus than mailbox. Better IR lights.

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Remove the mail prior to the wee hours of the morning? Locking mailbox?

Nothing good happens after 1AM...Nothing

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
On that shot, I'd add a bit more zoom, a lot less spiderweb, more IR light from an external floodlight, and keep those lit trees out of the shot. You could also wire a switch from the mailbox door into your NVR if it supports external alarm inputs. Open the box and an alert sounds at the NVR, or it sends you a text/email, or whatever you have set up. Also, select newer model cams with better low light capability. The Dahua Starlight threads on here are a great place to start. I haven't been paying attention to Hikvision lately but I know they're been slow to introduce their equivalent to the Starlight technology from Dahua. If the NVR itself doesn't have alarm inputs, get a camera than has them and wire the switch into the camera and use it to send the alerts. Also, your neighbour is using a game camera. They're handy standalone boobytrap cams but not the greatest for ID shots. Just about any modern Hik or Dahua with the right lens and good lighting can give MUCH better pictures than a game cam.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
zwave door sensor rigged to the mailbox, was gonna do that with mine but the door doesn't shut that great, maybe if I can add two magnets to it to pull the door closed.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With those shorts and boots he needs to also be reported to the fashion police.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon

Hello, do I need just this Z-Wave Plus® Door/Window Sensor, NO LOGO - Monoprice.com

Or do I need other hardware?

I presume I will need some sort of alerting device, if the z-wave trigger is signaled?

I know nothing about Z Wave

Thank you
TPW
I know this is old, but thought I would chime in.
You will need a zwave hub. There are many out there. Samsung Smart things come to mind. or Aerotech gen 5 zwave USB stick, but this option need some home automation to control it. Depending on which you choose depends on how things can be implemented. With the usb stick I was able to get Domoticz (home automation) to take a pic of my drive way when the garage door was open, or left open for x time