Attention Wansview IP camera users!

Matthew Craig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
New Wansview IP cameras use a firmware where you must use their cloud service, If you have the older RTSP and HTTPS based cameras (Models W3 and W2), Do not update the firmware if you wish to keep compatibility with 3rd party software such as Blue iris, Ispy, or Zone minder. The ONVIF function for these applications will also not be functioning.

To make sure your cameras do not update by themselves, change the DNS address in the camera's network settings to a different IP address. If possible, in your router's settings disable WAN inward and outward traffic to the camera's IP address.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another highly dubious behavior of Wansview:

Since I blocked internet access for a Wansview cam, the cam stops working after a few minutes, disconnects from the network and reconnects with a SPOOFED MAC-Address trying to bypass the internet block. Holy s***!

As this seemingly still didn't work, the camera faked it's MAC adress several more times and changed other network settings (use DHCP, select an IP address in another subnet).

Actually I wanted to check what the Wansview cam is doing on the internet, but I think it's a complete timewaste, so I chose the @fenderman solutionTM: -> garbage.

In a nutshell: Do not buy cheap noname china cameras.

Reaction score
That’s a terrifying new level for a camera to try to “break free” of restricted internet access. I don’t have one but I am happy my cameras are physically on a separate network with Blue Iris computer as the only reachable endpoint no matter their charade.

Reaction score
That’s a terrifying new level for a camera to try to “break free” of restricted internet access. I don’t have one but I am happy my cameras are physically on a separate network with Blue Iris computer as the only reachable endpoint no matter their charade.
Yikes! Wish I'd have found this page BEFORE getting sucked into the Amazon "Deal of the Day" - boxed and being returned as we speak!!!

Matthew Craig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yikes! Wish I'd have found this page BEFORE getting sucked into the Amazon "Deal of the Day" - boxed and being returned as we speak!!!
Wansview cameras are all cloud based now if I remember correctly. They stopped production of the W2 and W3 a whole ago and released their horrible cloud exclusive camera which doesn't have an RTSP server or Onvif compatibility. This is next to Zmodo level of sus.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
ooooh, i have a friend work there, Swann do some OEM at wansview, have some small brands do OEM at their company.

Matthew Craig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do not see any problem like this. I have had a Wansview W9 camera for some time and it works fine in Blue Iris.
They must have made the firmware on the W9 similar to the older models. /live/ch0 ... is the same RTSP path for the older models before their cloud software. Kinda cool that you can use RTSP again, but I still wouldn't trust their security.