Audio through cameras using BlueIris Discussion

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are others out there who would be willing to discuss and help get Camera Audio (microphone & speakers) working through the Blue Iris software?

The first camera I am working with is a Vivotek FD8361 dome camera. It is located at my front door and has a microphone as well as an external speaker attached. Here are some specs that may help get this all working correctly:
RTP Audio Port: 5558, RTSP port: 554 (standard)

I am receiving sound from the microphone on the camera, through Blue Iris, both on the Security PC as well as through the iPhone Blue Iris App. I have not been successful in getting my voice to come through the cameras speaker though....

Anyone know how to figure this out? All help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you able to get sound to the camera via the browser (to confirm the speaker is working properly)?Is the talk function supported for your camera? Talk function is not widely supported. Email support to verify.

Reaction score
Hi There,
I have exactly the same issue. I have an Axis 215 PTZ. The audio from camera Mic to PC and IPhone works perfectly. I can get audio to the Camera speaker from the Axis web browser function (audio In and Audio Out) also NP at all. Blue Iris shows the icons for both headset and Mic on the PC (Windows XP) and on the BLue Iris App on the Iphone. But Audio to the camera doesn't work. I have spent a few hours trying to debug and trying all obvious options, but I am pretty sure its a Blue Iris issue. I have emailed the support desk and they are usually pretty good at responding in a few days.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum BHMorgan123. The fact that there is a mic icon does not mean audio is supported...hopefully ken will get back to you..he may need access to the camera itself..

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you able to get sound to the camera via the browser (to confirm the speaker is working properly)?Is the talk function supported for your camera? Talk function is not widely supported. Email support to verify.
fenderman, thank you for the reply. I logged into the camera via IE and am able to talk out through the speakers connected to the camera and hear the person outside through the camera microphone.

So, like the BHMorgan123 said, I would like to use the Blue Iris app (especially on the iPhone app) and hear/talk via the camera.

Reaction score
OK guys - If you are still monitoring this thread - I gave Ken at Blue Iris access to my Cam (Axis 215) he just emailed me to let me know he thinks he found the issue and there is a BI upgrade going out later this evening[FONT=&quot] ver (3.63.02 [/FONT])

I know many people have worked with Ken at BI before - but just to add he is exceptionally responsive and helpful!! At least that is my experience!

I'll report back later and let y'all know if it works

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK guys - If you are still monitoring this thread - I gave Ken at Blue Iris access to my Cam (Axis 215) he just emailed me to let me know he thinks he found the issue and there is a BI upgrade going out later this evening ver (3.63.02 )

I know many people have worked with Ken at BI before - but just to add he is exceptionally responsive and helpful!! At least that is my experience!

I'll report back later and let y'all know if it works
Thanks for the update! Yes, I also have worked with Ken through the years and always found him responsive. Note: I sent him the specs on my Vivotek FD8361 dome camera. My goal is to use my iPhone BlueIris app to both listen and talk through the camera at my front door. I can do it from the local network on my browser while logging into the camera, so all that works.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Ken lately? I received an e-mail response where he was going to help me get my Vivotek Front door dome camera audio working, but have not been able to get a response from him since. I've sent him the IP address to the camera, and resent updated info each day, but no responses since. Does anyone know him personally? Is he ok?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know him personally, but sometimes he gets busy and cannot respond...

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont know him personally, but sometimes he gets busy and cannot respond...
That would be the best reason! I'll just keep trying and be patient!

On a side note, I grabbed one of my unused Foscam interior cameras, connected a mic and external speaker. I could hear through the iPhone camera BlueIris app, but when I tried to speak through the external speakers, it was broken and really poor. (note: both microphone and speakers are good products and work in well in other uses).

Is that common with junky Foscam cameras, or possibly a setting I could experiment with?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is common with foscam..are you wired or over wifi? Also try going direct via the browser to the foscam and see if there is improvement.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The foscam is wired. I will try the browser test. Thanks!

activemind

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this thread is old; I'm new to this forum and hopefully you guys would be able to help.
I'm having similar issue -- no audio coming through from my Amcrest ProHD IP2M-841 camera using BI. The camera is very much like Foscam with two way audio. I can capture audio from the camera no problem, but I cannot use my BI iphone app or from the PC software directly speaking to a mic. I don't hear any audio from the camera. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jdub

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you get your mic working activmind?
Are you having the same issue? I have one of these cameras as well but I have 2-way audio working perfectly when testing in Blue Iris with a mic/headset connected directly to my Blue Iris server. The audio is crystal clear with very little delay both ways. Talking to the camera from the mobile IOS app sounds robotic (like the start of Iron Man by Black Sabbath!) - you can still understand what's being said but it's not ideal. I'm troubleshooting with Ken the developer and will post back any updates. I'm on Blue Iris 4.5.3.0 x64 and the IOS app is: 1.56.00

Jdub

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a reply back from Ken today:

"Thanks Jon

It's possible the audio encoding needs some tweaking, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Ken"

Funny, I was setting some stuff up in Exacqvision for work and found the camera setup very limited compared to Blue Iris. We're pretty fortunate to have something so feature rich at this price point.

Reaction score
Hello, I also have an Amcrest ip2m-841 (two of them actually) and have the same issue....and it's very frustrating. My story is a bit different though. For two months I had my ip2m-841W working just fine...I could send alarms to the camera (great for my situation - LOVED this), and could talk into my phone or computer microphone and be heard through the camera speaker. Then I got an ip2m-841B (same thing only black) and it would not allow me to send sound to the camera speaker. Out of frustration, I eventually reset my first camera to see whether or not I could get it working again, to see if the second camera was defective. Now the first camera doesn't work either. It's completely illogical, and BI support hasn't figured this out yet, but they are looking at it.

Note: I can turn off BI and use the Amcrest Pro app and everything works properly, so this is DEFINITELY a BI issue.

Jdub

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I also have an Amcrest ip2m-841 (two of them actually) and have the same issue....and it's very frustrating. My story is a bit different though. For two months I had my ip2m-841W working just fine...I could send alarms to the camera (great for my situation - LOVED this), and could talk into my phone or computer microphone and be heard through the camera speaker. Then I got an ip2m-841B (same thing only black) and it would not allow me to send sound to the camera speaker. Out of frustration, I eventually reset my first camera to see whether or not I could get it working again, to see if the second camera was defective. Now the first camera doesn't work either. It's completely illogical, and BI support hasn't figured this out yet, but they are looking at it.

Note: I can turn off BI and use the Amcrest Pro app and everything works properly, so this is DEFINITELY a BI issue.
Hi Mike - check out my post#9 in the following thread for my settings: No PTZ on Amcrest ProHD 1080p using BI
I noticed I was able to break my ability to "talk" to the camera when changing the camera make/model in the PTZ/Control tab (although it works uses the settings I attached). Performing a Find/Inspect from Video --> Configure causes the camera make/model to be set to ONVIF (OXML) on the PTZ/Control tab which breaks the ability to talk to the camera. I'm currently running 4.5.3.3 and am able to talk to the camera when using a mic connected to my BI server as well as through the IOS app. I do have a ticket open with Ken the developer though as the audio is not very clear when talking to the camera through the IOS app. It's clear using my headset connected directly to the BI server. I have the ip2m-841w model.

Reaction score
Thanks Jbub. I had just figured my issue out before reading this but I appreciate your assistance. In my case I had to change the camera model to ProHD RTSP/HTTP instead of ProHD/IP2/3/4M Main Stream RTSP. That's really strange, since it IS an IP2 type camera. Still, that was the solution. Thanks again.