Authentication "Non-LAN Only" - Does this work?

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Or should I say, does this work as expected? My expectation is that this would only require logins from connections outside of my local LAN. In this case 192.168.1.*

However, in my case whether it's the same machine that BI is on or another machine on my local network, I cannot connect unless I use a username and password.

BTW, I'm running version 4.7.0.0

Thanks for the help

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
In my case it worked a little to well. I have a few family members logging in on OpenVpn to my BI machine it would allow them to log into BI without credentials which in turn was allowing them full access to all my cams ! If you do use this be sure you specify permissions for the Anonymous user. I no longer use this option as it was for my old smart tv setup. Here is how it states it in the help section:

If you choose to enable Authentication, Blue Iris will automatically cause remote users' browsers to prompt them for a username and password. If they do not match a valid user account, they will be denied access. Users are configured on the Options/Users page. If you select to authenticate Non-LAN connections only, users connecting from within your local home/office network will not be prompted, while those connecting from the Internet will be prompted. The connections status page will show which username was used to authenticate.

Whenever a user is permitted access without a username or password, an Anonymous user will appear on the Options/Users page. You may edit the privileges of this account as you would the others.

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahhh. That’s it. It’s because anonymous is disabled.

So if I understand this correctly. The user comes in via the anonymous user ONLY on LAN connections. All other connections will require a valid user.

As for the VPN use case. That makes sense as your VPN essentially makes it so a user is on the local network through the tunnel.

Thanks for the help.