Auto-cycling through camera groups

jpmem

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at Blue Iris very seriously to replace my current NVR system, which is going unsupported on newer Apple IOS versions. I have about 12 cameras at my home (it's decently sized and spread out place) and I've got a pretty decent demo going so far of Blue Iris. I really like the ease of setup and the advanced options. I'm running it on decent Dell Poweredge box with a Xeon E2-1220 processor and 4GB of RAM.

One feature I'm looking for however is the ability on the console view to auto-cycle between camera groups. With my current NVR system, I have a desktop whose sole purpose is to distribute video (via video extenders) throughout the house to my TV's, cycling through particular cameras that I designated. This way I can pull my cameras up on the TVs if I want to look at them.

The current way mine cycles: Group 1 with 4 cameras displayed, Group 2 with 4 cameras displayed, then front porch camera, driveway camera, front yard camera - then this starts over again and loops endlessly.

Does Blue Iris have a way to cycle in a similar fashion? I know you can cycle through cameras one at a time in particular groups, but I would like a way to cycle through the groups themselves automatically, displaying the cameras like I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try BI's built-in 'Help' (the big ?) ?
Search for "auto-cycle" (DOH!), in results select "camera Windows" and read there, see if that cranks your tractor.:cool:

jpmem

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I have created the groups, but there is a slight problem. If in the "All Cameras" group, I turn off "Participate in Group Cycle", none of the other groups will cycle. If I turn on the option in "All Cameras" group for "Participate in Group Cycle", then the camera groups will cycle. Not quite the behavior I anticipate. All the other groups still have "Participate in Group Cycle" enabled.

Perhaps I've hit a bug?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I have created the groups, but there is a slight problem. If in the "All Cameras" group, I turn off "Participate in Group Cycle", none of the other groups will cycle. If I turn on the option in "All Cameras" group for "Participate in Group Cycle", then the camera groups will cycle. Not quite the behavior I anticipate. All the other groups still have "Participate in Group Cycle" enabled.

Perhaps I've hit a bug?
I have 4.7.6.1 and it works fine; each of 4 single cams will cycle for the set time, then all cams...all good.
I turn off participate for all cams, the other 4 continue to cycle, just not the 'all cams'.

Have you double-checked which group shows in the pull-down menu and is being configured with the 'gear' settings in lower left corner and before you exit the config window for a specific group you are clicking on 'OK' ?

BI_cycle_tony.jpg

BI_cycle_all.jpg

Last edited:

jpmem

n3wb
Reaction score
So I disabled and re-enabled the settings for "participate in group cycle" on the other groups, and disabled it again on the "All Cameras" group. Seemed to fix it that time. Not sure why, but it did.

Thanks

epiekarc

n3wb
Reaction score
In the iOS app, is there a way to cycle a group of cameras? I can see how to cycle all, but not just a specific group of cameras on my iPad. Thanks in advance.

epiekarc

n3wb
Reaction score
In the iOS app, is there a way to cycle a group of cameras? I can see how to cycle all, but not just a specific group of cameras on my iPad. Thanks in advance.
And I’ll answer my own question, you have to check “Enable camera auto-cycle stream” now I’m trying to figure out how to enable the app to open to that auto cycle stream upon first launch... Right now I have it open to the group, but I still have to “hold for cycle” then click on “cameras” to get it to full screen. This is an iPad installed in a kitchen on the wall, so I don’t want it as simple for my wife and kids as possible.