Auto Restart BI if it crashes

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all;

Does anyone use a program to auto restart Blue Iris if it crashes? It looks like my remote server has crashed so I'm going to be without my cameras until I can travel to get access to my server.

I think Blue Iris Tools provides this auto-restart functionality? Is anyone using this or anything else for this purpose?

Thanks

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK great.

How do I set it up to run as a service? I have Blue Iris auto starting at boot up, will it impact this? Are there any other differences when running it as a service?

Reaction score
Go to Options, click on the Start up tab and put a check mark in "Run as a Windows service". No it will not impact it starting at boot up.

Running BI as a service will allow you to close out the console and run the program in the background. So if no one is going to be watching the cameras, you can close out the program and let it run in the background. This will reduce the resources your computer is using.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I've got it running as a service now. So just double checking... If the Blue Iris service crashes, it's going to restart?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
windows will automatically restart any failed services, as long as it dont keep crashing instantly in a tight loop.. then it'll abort it.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is BI running as a service in background accessible with remote or BI app over the internet? THanks!

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I downloaded BI for the evaluation period and this is the first thing I checked while waiting for my cameras to arrive. I followed the instructions and enabled run as a service which has been verified through msconfig that startup is enabled and the service is running. If it is I can't find it except through looking at my running services. I have to manually open the .exe file to even get the UAC prompt. I understand the need for the elevated program shortcut but I'm not even getting to that point upon start up. I've even put the shortcut in my startup menu (which I shouldn't need to) and that doesn't work either.

I can't see how but is this because it's an evaluation? I've been working on this for about three hours reading through the threads and I'm pretty frustrated trying to get something so rudimentary to work. Any ideas?

ETA: Windows 7 Ultimate

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded BI for the evaluation period and this is the first thing I checked while waiting for my cameras to arrive. I followed the instructions and enabled run as a service which has been verified through msconfig that startup is enabled and the service is running. If it is I can't find it except through looking at my running services. I have to manually open the .exe file to even get the UAC prompt. I understand the need for the elevated program shortcut but I'm not even getting to that point upon start up. I've even put the shortcut in my startup menu (which I shouldn't need to) and that doesn't work either.

I can't see how but is this because it's an evaluation? I've been working on this for about three hours reading through the threads and I'm pretty frustrated trying to get something so rudimentary to work. Any ideas?

ETA: Windows 7 Ultimate
Welcome to the forum. When BI is run as a service the console is not displayed until you manually launch it.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. When BI is run as a service the console is not displayed until you manually launch it.
Thank you for the greeting and quick reply.

So if running as a service without the console launched will recordings still take place? If it is, and I hope that's the case, I'm still left scratching my head why the console will not launch when placed into startup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the greeting and quick reply.

So if running as a service without the console launched will recordings still take place? If it is, and I hope that's the case, I'm still left scratching my head why the console will not launch when placed into startup.
yes it will still work and record.