Auto Tracking Dahua PTZ

Reaction score
I recently installed a Dahua SD6CE225U-HNI PTZ camera and love it. I have a question about Auto Tracking and how to utilize it.

The main purpose of this camera was to have it detect motion in a given area and track it (which it does very well).

Now I need to be able to have the camera tour or go to a series of preset positions (or even scan) and if it detects motion, have it track that motion for the duration of the motion or until some preset timer (let's say 2 minutes of no motion) then have it resume the tour/presets and looks for motion again.

Auto Tracking works well in a fix camera position.

If I setup a scan then it does not track motion, if I setup a tour (going to preset positions and staying there for 1 minute, etc., ) it does not detect motion while the tour mode is enabled (even when the camera is not moving and the subject is).

Any creative way to make this work? The area I need to cover is larger than the camera view, hence the reason I need to scan or tour, etc..

I can (of course), leave it at one spot and only cover a portion of the property we want to protect and just look for and track motion in that one area (which sort of defeats the purpose of a PTZ camera for this project).

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
More cameras. PTZs can only do one thing at a time, and for that reason they are a poor choice for monitoring a large area.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently installed a Dahua SD6CE225U-HNI PTZ camera and love it. I have a question about Auto Tracking and how to utilize it.

The main purpose of this camera was to have it detect motion in a given area and track it (which it does very well).

Now I need to be able to have the camera tour or go to a series of preset positions (or even scan) and if it detects motion, have it track that motion for the duration of the motion or until some preset timer (let's say 2 minutes of no motion) then have it resume the tour/presets and looks for motion again.

If I setup a scan then it does not track motion, if I setup a tour (going to preset positions and staying there for 1 minute, etc., ) it does not detect motion while the tour mode is enabled (even when the camera is not moving and the subject is).

Any creative way to make this work? The area I need to cover is larger than the camera view, hence the reason I need to scan or tour, etc..

I can (of course), leave it at one spot and only cover a portion of the property we want to protect and just look for and track motion in that one area (which sort of defeats the purpose of a PTZ camera for this project).
Welcome @rememberthemagic

Look for some of Nayr's posts - he has some good examples of what he has done and commentary on PTZes.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score

Any update on whether you solved this and what your experience with the cam has been ?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think what you want exists quite yet. However two potential workarounds:

If you use another Dahua camera with a fixed field of view in the same area as the PTZ, you can detect motion with it and that camera can tell the PTZ where to look--as I understand it, you'll need a Dahua NVR to make this work. There's some limited discussion on this: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Another option (if you use Blue Iris) is to setup your presets and motion zones in the PTZ tab of camera properties. I believe the limitation here is you can setup motion detection, but it won't work in conjunction with your camera's autotracking.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
You can have the PTZ go to a preset as a timed function and if that preset has a IVS rule set up it will track.
It will not work as a tour, pan or scan, while thew camera is moving..

As stated above, with a NVR you can call up a PTZ with another camera and have the ptz track - if there is a rule set up for the PTZ at the calling location.

Sample-

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not been able to get IVS to work in any tour mode, only when utilizing the timed task to a preset- PTZ > function > time task.