Automatic gate lock to help autistic child?

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by Paulcornwall, Apr 8, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Paulcornwall

Paulcornwall n3wb

Hi guy and gals. Great forum, so glad I've come across it. We have an autistic child who likes to wonder, as a result we have the property covered with Hikvision cams. One thing I've been trying to sort out is the garden gate. I would like to remotely lock the gate. The gate is a simply 6ftx3ft wooden gate, with solid posts either side. We arent flush with money so your suggestions would really be appreciated. thanks Paul.

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

the cheapest way to do this would be to use a standard auto latching manual lock and simply mount it high enough so that the child cannot reach it..

3. Paulcornwall

Paulcornwall n3wb

@fenderman thanks for your reply. I have 2 other daughters as well, so I need the gate to operate 'freely' the majority of the time. Its in times of crisis that the gate would need locking quickly. Its hard to explain to a person who hasn't dealt with autistic children but locking the gate discretely makes a huge difference to the way she reacts during these episodes. Forget the money side of things, it needs to be remotely controlled and fixed to an exterior wood gate.

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

post an image of the gate and the current lock

5. Paulcornwall

Paulcornwall n3wb

Ok, here's a couple pics of the gate. At present, a bolt across the top does the job, however, this needs to be changed to something I can control remotely from inside the house.

Attached Files:

6. tangent

tangent Known around here

fenderman and Paulcornwall like this.
  7. Paulcornwall

Paulcornwall n3wb