Automatic gate lock to help autistic child?

Reaction score
Hi guy and gals. Great forum, so glad I've come across it. We have an autistic child who likes to wonder, as a result we have the property covered with Hikvision cams. One thing I've been trying to sort out is the garden gate. I would like to remotely lock the gate. The gate is a simply 6ftx3ft wooden gate, with solid posts either side. We arent flush with money so your suggestions would really be appreciated. thanks Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guy and gals. Great forum, so glad I've come across it. We have an autistic child who likes to wonder, as a result we have the property covered with Hikvision cams. One thing I've been trying to sort out is the garden gate. I would like to remotely lock the gate. The gate is a simply 6ftx3ft wooden gate, with solid posts either side. We arent flush with money so your suggestions would really be appreciated. thanks Paul.
the cheapest way to do this would be to use a standard auto latching manual lock and simply mount it high enough so that the child cannot reach it..

Reaction score
@fenderman thanks for your reply. I have 2 other daughters as well, so I need the gate to operate 'freely' the majority of the time. Its in times of crisis that the gate would need locking quickly. Its hard to explain to a person who hasn't dealt with autistic children but locking the gate discretely makes a huge difference to the way she reacts during these episodes. Forget the money side of things, it needs to be remotely controlled and fixed to an exterior wood gate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman thanks for your reply. I have 2 other daughters as well, so I need the gate to operate 'freely' the majority of the time. Its in times of crisis that the gate would need locking quickly. Its hard to explain to a person who hasn't dealt with autistic children but locking the gate discretely makes a huge difference to the way she reacts during these episodes. Forget the money side of things, it needs to be remotely controlled and fixed to an exterior wood gate.
post an image of the gate and the current lock

Reaction score
Ok, here's a couple pics of the gate. At present, a bolt across the top does the job, however, this needs to be changed to something I can control remotely from inside the house.

Attachments

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Paulcornwall. I understand you monitor the playground with cameras and need to remotely control the wooden gate, probably during playing time. You are basically asking for a "door access" control system. The remote control can be accomplish using RF remote, connected to an electric "door strike" or "dead bolt". Both will need power available at the "solid post". Normally is 12Vdc, connected directly to the lock mechanism, but also providing power to the RF receiver. How far is the wooden gate from where you intend to control? Are you able to provide power to the locking "solid post"? The basic design could include an RF receiver, controlled from battery operated keyfob (same used in alarm systems), a 12Vdc "door strike or dead bolt", power supply. Optional, you could add a push-to-exit weatherproof button and a buzzer.

You mentioned "times of crisis", in which the gate need to be instantly locked. This means the gate need to remain "unlocked" except during the crisis period? The design will be different from the basic design. The question will be on how is going to activate the lock? The door strike and dead bolts are designed with "fail safe" and "fail secure" mechanism. For example, if you need to lock the gate at the crisis time, a fail safe will complete the circuit (close) by applying power, which can be accomplish by pressing a button at the remote. But again, is really necessary to keep the gate open during playing time? That means, someone needs to be aware (you or your daughters) of that situation at all time.