Avoid Zmodo / Funlux / Annke / Sannce simplified POE or sPoE systems.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note, from my notes which I wanted to share with others new to IP PoE security cameras:

Please avoid the junk out there, it's worth spending more on a quality setup.

How about a zmodo / annke / sannce / funlux "POE" system?:

All of those brands seem to like to deceive customers into thinking they are selling an affordable PoE security camera system, when in fact the system is NOT PoE and does not meet any PoE standards and is not compatible with IP cameras. Those are proprietary systems which once you read more about you will find they are back pedaling and then calling them "sPOE" - what they call simplified POE. They are clearly being fraudulent, thus I recommend avoiding them and getting something which meets PoE standards and allows you to plug in ONVIF spec cameras to the system.
Examples of fraudulent misrepresentation and/or deceptive practices:
  • Claiming NVR and cameras are POE, when it is not - look for terms like sPoE and simplified PoE.
  • Claiming system is 1080p, when the NVR is capable of displaying to a 1080p monitor/TV but only able to handle 720p cameras.
  • Claiming system is 1080p, upon closer look you notice "1080p lite" - which does not meet 1080p standards. Typically look for less fps. ( frames per second )
  • Inferring that the system is 1080p by using the term 1080N, noting that 1080N = 960×1080=1036800 pixels vs. 720p = 1280x720 = 921600 vs 1080p = 1920x1080 = 2073600
  • Claiming cameras are IP cameras, but you will notice that the cameras only work with their branded "NVR", and may in fact be analog cameras for all we know.
  • Claiming system is digital, using banking level security, and secure vs an analog system which is not secure. Absolute BS, from companies which will not hire enough talented software engineers.
Ref:
Whats 1080N resolution for DVRs?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Planning to upgrade my home Zmodo 14 camera system... need a little guidance