Away from house and half WiFi cameras disconnected from WiFi.

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a combination of ring doorbell, wyze cam, dlink and reolink cameras in my house. Two days into a 2 week break away I lost 3 out of 4 wyze cameras and the dlink. The reolink is Poe rest are WiFi.
I do have a WiFi mesh network and I suspect that has gone down . But I don't understand that the ring and one wyze cam is ok and yet a dlink and wyze a few feet from the router are down.
Surely the cameras should automatically hunt for new WiFi , I have 5ghz and 2.4ghz wifiWiFi connect from the router, the mesh has the same name as the routers 2.4ghz WiFi.
Any ideas , I guess I'll have to wait until I return and do a reboot :-(
Thanks
Paul

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Helpful comments. It is when there is the ease and cost of using WiFi cameras over wired. I've had
WiFi for a few years without issue. First time after getting a WiFi mesh that I now had this problem.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's probably something like one of your neighbors rebooted their router and it jumped channels and now there's lots of interference on the channel your wifi cameras are on. Jamming or disrupting wifi cameras is really easy.

If you had a secure means of accessing a computer on your network you might be able to reboot your router. If you're forwarding ports to your cameras to make them directly accessible from the outside world, it's also possible some of your cameras were hacked.

Your cameras need power anyway, why not use cameras that can handle power and data in the same cable

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks tangent.

It's just the hassle of putting in network cables when I have a power socket nearby I can use USB to power the WiFi cables .
I'm more confused that some of my cameras ara running and some aren't regardless of their location. I guess maybe some have just gone direct to my router for the connection and others to the mesh, which has now failed.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have several wifi cams in my system too. The number one thing I did to increase their up time was decrease the distance they had to span via wifi, that and running wifi analyzer and using the least crowded channels. I actually have tplink nano routers at each end of the house and ethernet back to the switch for my wifi cams.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Helpful comments. It is when there is the ease and cost of using WiFi cameras over wired. I've had
WiFi for a few years without issue. First time after getting a WiFi mesh that I now had this problem.
The problem with Wifi is, that it is so easy to jam a whole system just with a laptop from within a car, or even a scriptkiddie neighbor who likes to do that.

They overload the network with packets, or just do massive de-authentication attacks on your network. So any remote wireless connected recorder will not get recordings from the camera. So, if you don't have a sdcard in the camera at moments like that, you also have no recordings.

That said, i would always replace the ease and cost of using wifi, for wired systems. Stolen / damaged property is more expensive than the cost of cable :D

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have crap cameras. You learn a very important lesson the expensive way.

You need to junk everything and start over, with a hardwired system.

Wifi systems overload and are blocked to easily. Wifi is interfered with by home wireless phones, Chromecast .Roku, microwave ovens....

Read, study, plan, before spending money.... Plan plan plan

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your Dlink cam working in the d link app still? I lose my feed to Blue Iris from my Dlink camera , but it will still have the feed to the dlink cloud showing and I have to reboot the cam. If it’s is still accessible through the app , you may be able to go to advanced settings in the app and log into the web interface and reboot the camera.

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I`m back home now and checked the cameras quickly. I tried rebooting the mesh network first but that didnt do anything so I had to power cycle the cameras in question. I`ve ordered a couple of Dahua poe cameras and will see how it goes with the others. As i said i`ve had the cameras for a few years without any issue but i realised night vision is poor so am going for the dahua at front and back of our house.
Thanks

inference

n3wb
Reaction score
The other option if cabling is a hassle is EOP. I use EOP connected to a cheap POE switch (an injector would be even cheaper) to run cameras in my garage, as it's separate from the house.