Axis 207W 24/24 7/7 since 10 years !

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

Just a word to say I do have 3 Axis 207W running for 10 years now (bought 330€ each), well not 3 but 2 as one suddenly stopped display any video (don't now why, may be some faulty memory component died).

Of course the web interface and the codecs are in trouble with recent Browsers but they do their job.

Don't think any of those low priced chinese camera will last that long.

Regards, hope i'll find a lot cool infos in this forum.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't think any of those low priced chinese camera will last that long.

bye !
Why not? I have dahuas running for around 4 years or so now......no issues...the cameras may have lasted 10 years, but you also settled for low quality resolution and compression for the last 5 years...you could have easily replaced the china cameras many times over with better technology for the cost of the axis camera.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why not? I have dahuas running for around 4 years or so now......no issues...the cameras may have lasted 10 years, but you also settled for low quality resolution and compression for the last 5 years...you could have easily replaced the china cameras many times over with better technology for the cost of the axis camera.
Well, because I tried a few, some for 1 or 2 years max and saw the components inside often low quality or bad electronic design but sometime it's only the power supply that is bad so you just have to replace it...

Also firmwares use to be full of bug, unstable, lag, motion detection and alert feature bearly usable, interface showing "generic" features that do not fit to camera's model, for example you a camera that exists in différent version with/without audio, with/without SDCard will show audio and internal storage useless features on the camera that do not have any audio nor SDCard.

Chinese tech support are also awfull, low skilled, firmware updates are rare.

Also security is a joke, many hole, uncrypted streaming including login/pass (whenever they ask for some !), including P2P feature ! with "clear" UDP packets.

This is why you should NEVER expose those camera directly on internet but use some NVR (with good security level, again you have low priced NVR and "pro") or some rather cheap but efficient software like Blue Iris or Netcam Studio.

Also those cameras have a lot of difficulties to handle mixed light/shadow situations that's also a problem and HDR/WDR feature is useless.

Last example is ESCam QD900 FullHD (I bought two of them with good discount 45€ each), supposed to be "professional camera" according to their website, piece of joke, but for the price its OK i'll not ask for refund.

Talking about resolution, those old Axis are VGA only yes, but depending usage it's enought and talking about stream compression, yes it's MJPEG but VGA do not need H.264 ;-)

But I am not Axis addict ! today the IPCam market increased a lot (thanks to those low priced chinese camera) but low price and good quality still do not match you get what you pay not expecting too much, they are not Axis or Mobotix but for some situations I can accept that and chinese products are low also because they do not spend to much money for firmware/software engineering.

Also a new market appeared that I called "bling bling design connected cameras" with rather high price, easy to setup, nice design, nearly zero config and "in the cloud" storage, I have not tested such camera for now but all those "cloud" features are dangerous and terms of usage are not clear about security/confidentiality, how data are stored, who can access them...

But I also like chinese cameras because they are very low priced so you can play a lot with them, hack them to add new features with no fear, the best example is the excellent (for the price) Top-201 "ELP" camera :) and I think I will learn a lot reading this forum (alreday learned lot of trick about TOP-201) and may be discover some "chinese pearls" !

By the way you say you do have Dahuas cemaras but I don't think this constructor produce low level quality "chinese" products.

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^ All that.... That S**** FUNNY!!!!!! Bahahahaha

First - You call the ESCam "professional" - even if that's what you were "told"... If you believed it, your not very good with this technology!

Then you finish with a bang and reference one of the funniest IP cameras ever - the 201!!!

Seriously you are basically comparing sub $50 china garbage to Axis... That stuff is garbage compared to ANYTHING on the market - in most cases even Nest and Ring are better quality then what you are referencing. There are import cameras for $100 - $150 that are far superior to your Axis hardware and as Fender noted will most likely run just as long at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dodutils As zero pointed out, you bought bottom barrel crap then compare it to axis..there is a great middle ground of 100-200 dollar cameras that you completely missed.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
^^^^^ All that.... That S**** FUNNY!!!!!! Bahahahaha

First - You call the ESCam "professional" - even if that's what you were "told"... If you believed it, your not very good with this technology!

Then you finish with a bang and reference one of the funniest IP cameras ever - the 201!!!

Seriously you are basically comparing sub $50 china garbage to Axis... That stuff is garbage compared to ANYTHING on the market. There are import cameras for $100 - $150 that are far superior to your Axis hardware and as Fender noted will most likely run just as long.
First I do not call them "professional" I just say it is written on their web site and it was a joke to say those low level chinse product call themselves "pro" but are of course not pro at all.

The 201 camera is the lowest priced camera I could find so yes it's cool to "play with it" with no fear including hacking firmware and electronic motherboard.

And yes you may have chinese companies that can provide rather good cameras for higher price (I hope) but never tested some because the price is indeed too high for me to play with.

And may be my "bye !" at the end of my comment has been missunderstood because I saw you reused it (english in not my native langage sorry) it was not meant to say something like "Axis rocks and other cams sucks", not at all, just "good bye or regards or any other kind end-comment word". So I edited it the way I really meant to say.

And I also expect to find very interesting threads in this forum about different cameras I do not know.

Last edited:

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dodutils As zero pointed out, you bought bottom barrel crap then compare it to axis..there is a great middle ground of 100-200 dollar cameras that you completely missed.
Well and you compare Dahuas to low level chinse products too but they are not and I also see they produce Thermal mixed cameras... my dream ! ;-)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well and you compare Dahuas to low level chinse products too but they are not and I also see they produce Thermal mixed cameras... my dream ! ;-)
I think you need to go back and reread what I wrote. You are not understanding.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you need to go back and reread what I wrote. You are not understanding.
As I said english is not my native, but if I reread as you asked I see you answered "Why not? I have dahuas running for around 4 years or so now." to my "Don't think any of those low priced chinese camera will last that long." sentence (as you quoted it) so you are telling that Dahuas is part of those low priced chinese product isn't it ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As I said english is not my native, but if I reread as you asked I see you answered "Why not? I have dahuas running for around 4 years or so now." to my "Don't think any of those low priced chinese camera will last that long." sentence (as you quoted it) so you are telling that Dahuas is part of those low priced chinese product isn't it ?
I am saying that dahua is low priced and has very good reliability....its not as low as escam, but escam is garbage...so instead of wasting your money on axis, look at dahua....keeping a camera for 10 years as silly as the technology improves dramatically every few years. Axis cameras are 5-15 times the price of a good dahua.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am saying that dahua is low priced and has very good reliability....its not as low as escam, but escam is garbage...so instead of wasting your money on axis, look at dahua....keeping a camera for 10 years as silly as the technology improves dramatically every few years. Axis cameras are 5-15 times the price of a good dahua.
OK now I understand what you say and this is such info I'd like to get on this forum and learn about user's experience on different models/constructors.

But ten years ago the IPCam market was not as today (and not same price too), not so many companies and chinese market was nearly unknown (at least in France), they only started to appear on global market with companies like Foscam (as crap as Escam) to gain low cost market.

But when you say 5-15 times the price for a dahua, which model are you talking about ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
~$600USD for an Intelligent Starlight 1080p 30x.. $3-5k for an Axis that's still not as good in low light.

Dahua makes better PTZ's than Axis does; and has for quite a while.