Axis Camera Upgrade

Rod Betts

n3wb
Reaction score
I just now joined this forum as I have a troubling question I'd like help with. I hope it fits this category. I can't seem to find a better place to ask.

I bought a brand new Axis P5512-E camera two or three years ago before I knew much about security cameras. I paid $600.00 for it and it's been a complete bust. I know Axis is a high priced but good company that makes rock solid cameras. My P5512-E is a rock solid camera but the resolution is horrible. At night you would not be able to tell the difference between a small tree and a person unless one of the two was moving. During daylight hours, a mother would not be able to recognize one of her own children thirty feet away.

I don't want to badmouth Axis, they have been very helpful with other Axis camera help and actually replaced one of my cameras that they had no obligation to replace, but they couldn't or wouldn't help with my P5512-E camera. They are likely justified in not helping as my own lack of knowledge led to this inappropriate purchase.

Anyway, since I spent a great deal of my retirement income on this purchase, and in that I hate to see waste, I'd like to salvage the non-camera part of this system. I'd like to replace the camera part with a good HD camera (something in the 2-4MP range), and keep the case, motors, etc. Does anyone know if this can be done, where to send it, or which parts to buy? I would think that Axis must make a similar camera to the one in the P5512-E but of higher resolution. Perhaps a used donor camera I might buy on eBay? I'm quite handy and could likely switch out the parts if I could find them. I asked Axis about this and all they did was tell me which camera to buy to replace the P5512-E.

Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

Rod

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
By today's standards, that's an old, super-low-resolution camera. You won't be able to retrofit the camera with a new sensor at higher resolution.

Your best bet is to read up here for a decent replacement camera. Prices on PTZ cameras have come down, as I understand it. Or alternatively, you could buy a few fixed position cameras and get better coverage, likely for lower cost.

Rod Betts

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I will accept your answer. I'm already working on a replacement. As I have cameras around my property, I often get requests from neighbors to keep an eye on their homes while they're away. I thought that if I could jigger this older camera into usable condition I'd have an extra one I could point at their homes and record any inappropriate activity. It does seem to be a shame to discard something that works so well, excepting only the problem discussed above.

Thank you for your help,

Rod

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, I will accept your answer. I'm already working on a replacement. As I have cameras around my property, I often get requests from neighbors to keep an eye on their homes while they're away. I thought that if I could jigger this older camera into usable condition I'd have an extra one I could point at their homes and record any inappropriate activity. It does seem to be a shame to discard something that works so well, excepting only the problem discussed above.

Thank you for your help,

Rod
Ebay is your friend.