Axis Companion

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the performance of the Axis Companion line? Specifically the bullet and turret style cameras?

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't have this system, but like the prices. It requires their software as stated on the mainpage. Also, they appear to be 2MP only.

AXIS Companion Line network cameras only support AXIS Companion video management software.

boxgranch

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using Companion software with an M-2026-LE MKII, two Companion cameras and an M1065-L. The software is compatible with the other cameras, but apparently the Companion cameras will not work with the higher level recorders or software.

For me, the software cheerfully found everything and set them all up on a Synology NAS until a firmware update caused login issues for the cameras I have not resolved. The original setup was so painless I was really shocked, but has now made up for that. It now appears to want an individual account for each camera on the NAS, but the cameras can't login after I set that up. I just posted a request for help on the issue, but I suspect the firmware update is looking for something my NAS can't or won't answer to and it is not supported by Axis. There may also be some firewall setting I can't find.

I will probably just buy one of their recorders later. I had planned that anyway, but it was nice to get up and running for less cost. The caveat is if yo go this way, find the supported NAS unit page and use those.

Incidentally, the Synology units have a surveillance software package, but it can't see three of my five cameras. The Companions don't appear capable of ONVIF. I'm not sure what the issue is with the other one as it will do ONVIF.

Homeowner here, not a pro. Bought Axis based on recommendations from a pro.

boxgranch

n3wb
Reaction score
I should have added that the turret and bullet cams in the Companion line seem pretty even in image quality, but the M1065-L is disappointing. I wonder if I have a bad one. The M2026-LE-MKII clearly outperforms the Companion cameras, but costs a lot more. You might be better off putting in more cameras.

Initially I thought the bullets would be better for siting, but I am starting to think that the turrets are more flexible. They don't read as quickly as security cameras at first glance for most people.

As noted elsewhere here, mounting them too high under the eaves is not best, but it is convenient for routing wires. I am starting to think that about 6.5-7 feet is about the right height in most places assuming you want to catch faces. It also allows you to see farther as you don't have to angle the camera down as much. I am new to this and come from a still photo background, so some of it fell into place once I got my hands on a couple of camera. It is nice the cameras are so wide angle in terms of covering area, but that means the target gets pretty small by the time they are 25 feet out. Getting forensic quality video is challenging if you need to cover a large area.

Siting the cameras well requires some thought and practice. I am starting to think about looking for a wireless one to play with for siting.

Hope that helps a bit.

Coach Loll

n3wb
Reaction score
For the price the Axis Companion Line is really good. I've installed a few of them & they are easy to do with the Companion DVR. The most recent one i did was with 6 Companion LVE cameras and 2 P1425-LE Mk II bullets. Had a little issue adding a client on a pc but that was really no fault of AXIS, had to do with internal stuff where i installed it at. Customer Service has been good for me. Quality is high in my opinion. I would recommend it.