Axis M3024 add to Swann CONVR-B163MP (Costco)?

TheTobic

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy folks!

I took advantage of the Costco bundle on the Swann NVR with 8 PoE IP 3MP cameras. So far, its doing what I want it to do. Happy with the purchase. BUT!!! I came across a smokin' good deal on a brand new Axis M3024-L Dome. Wow. (Talk about a step up in picture quality (and price!) - even at _just_ 1MP).

I have been messing with it for the last few nights - unable to get it added to the Swann NVR. I called Swann Support - they have no clue. "Yes, the NVR has ONVIF support, but thats and advanced function and we dont provide support for that".....:rapture:

I have full access to the Axis - I can get the live video from the camera itself (this means, it powered up, on the Swann POE, etc).

In the Swann, I have tried to add it by IP address, and tried ports 80, 443, 8000, 554 with both combinations of root and OVIF username I set up. No luck. Adding by P2P results in a rather vague error message of "parameter error". I have tried to add it via the Swann Wizard (SwannView Plus) and the direct HTML from the NVR directly.

Any hints / tip / experience someone can share? I would love to integrate this camera into my network. Thanks in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@TheTobic Welcome to the forum! Are you plugin the camera into the NVR? if so try connecting the camera to the network and manually entering the ip...

Side note, there is no way the axis has a better daytime image than the hik at 3mp...a better low light and night image is expected though as that is true with lower res cameras.

TheTobic

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman - you are correct. The quality is daytime image is better from the Swanns, and the IR is smoother (less noise) from the Axis. Last night, I was testing, and everything had "clicked" over into IR...

As for adding the Axis - I am still stuck. I tried to add it by IP address, on various ports. Tried P2P / UPnP, no luck

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman - you are correct. The quality is daytime image is better from the Swanns, and the IR is smoother (less noise) from the Axis. Last night, I was testing, and everything had "clicked" over into IR...

As for adding the Axis - I am still stuck. I tried to add it by IP address, on various ports. Tried P2P / UPnP, no luck
Is the camera connected to the NVR?

TheTobic

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep. Axis is plugged into port 8 of the Swann NVR - which is a POE. The axis got an IP address from DHCP from the NVR, so its on the camera network. I have tried the SwannView Plus Wizard, the Swann native HTML page. I'm starting to think, the Swann Costco bundle is pretty much just that - a bundle that does not want to be expanded outside of the Swann branded cams.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. Axis is plugged into port 8 of the Swann NVR - which is a POE. The axis got an IP address from DHCP from the NVR, so its on the camera network. I have tried the SwannView Plus Wizard, the Swann native HTML page. I'm starting to think, the Swann Costco bundle is pretty much just that - a bundle that does not want to be expanded outside of the Swann branded cams.
Try connecting the axis camera to the network and manually enter the ip address.
Also, there should be a toggle and use the onvif protocol on the NVR if it has that option when adding cameras.

TheTobic

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. I tried to manually assign an IP address and use the ONVIF method. The NVR throws the same unhelpful error of "parameter error". I have tried it every which way - I dont think this will work. I'll finish out my installation project and put the Axis on the side to re-evaluate later. Thank you for all the help and guidance fenderman!