AXIS new 4K camera

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think this will change to world but it sure looks good. AXIS P1425E Axis introduces new series of seven cost-effective and compact bullet-style cameras for any environment

http://www.axis.com/corporate/press/releases/viewstory.php?case_id=3386

http://www.axis.com/products/p14_series/index.htm

Notes:

• To play at a higher resolution, click the play button first and then select the setting and screen size using the menu items on the bottom right of the playback window.
  • For optimal viewing, your computer and graphics card must be able to support playback in HDTV.

The 2160 setting looks great! You know it has to eat up the bandwidth @ 4x HD...

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure does look great. You just need to find the right customer thats willing to pay though. I wonder what type of recorder you need and hdd storage.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sure does look great. You just need to find the right customer thats willing to pay though. I wonder what type of recorder you need and hdd storage.
I am sure they have the software... and then you will most likely need 5x 4TB HHD's to record them... LOL I think this is more special application than the norm... Airports come to mind.

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this a joke or did they miss the fact they were posting these on April 1st?

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this a joke or did they miss the fact they were posting these on April 1st?
I don't think it came to mind when they did it.

Another interesting tidbit that I found on the site was virtual cameras! What? They use one camera (3 to 5MP) and then you can stream cropped views as several virtual cameras. Genius!

http://www.axis.com/products/video/about_networkvideo/multi-view_streaming.htm

View attachment 298

This is an excellent use for a high megapixel camera. Cutting cost of installation and also using less total bandwidth!

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lots of announcements on 4/1 because that was the start of the ISC West show. There was sort of a faceoff between Bosch and their new 4K cameras playing on a large TV facing the Axis display. Don't believe the Axis cameras will be available for several months and by the time they have inventory in the U.S. will likely be at the end of the year. Bosch claimed low bandwidth and they had a large LED display of a bandwidth meter running about 8Mbps capturing the complex scene of the expo hall. Don't think it's a gimmick, it's just the way of progress. 10 years ago 1080P may have seemed like a gimmick and now it's the norm. What was way more interesting than 4K cameras to me is 5-6MP cameras with very good low light capability rivaling 720/1080P cameras. So look for that in in the next few months from Bosch and ACTi.

Is it practical, heck, people record and watch 1080P video on their 4" screens on their phones, why not expect 4x that resolution on today's 60-70" TVs.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wish I could have went to the ISC West but I had conflicting appointments that couldn't be put off. Must have been fun!

dalepa

Reaction score
Anyone have pricing on these yet?

I don't think this will change to world but it sure looks good. AXIS P1425E Axis introduces new series of seven cost-effective and compact bullet-style cameras for any environment

http://www.axis.com/corporate/press/releases/viewstory.php?case_id=3386

http://www.axis.com/products/p14_series/index.htm

Notes:

• To play at a higher resolution, click the play button first and then select the setting and screen size using the menu items on the bottom right of the playback window.
  • For optimal viewing, your computer and graphics card must be able to support playback in HDTV.

The 2160 setting looks great! You know it has to eat up the bandwidth @ 4x HD...

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is only two things holding me back from ordering one....

1. Money

2. Money!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
There is only two things holding me back from ordering one....

1. Money

2. Money!
I know right, although I am surprised they aren't like thousands of dollars each, given the amount of price rape in the surveillance camera industry, I guess we will see when they actually go on sale.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not that far off when they will cost a few hundred bucks. 4K is 12MP and look at ACTi has their 10MP E77 full featured dome for under $300.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"4k" is 8.29 MP. 3840 x 2160 = 8294400. Though it also sometimes refers to 4096x2160 which is slightly wider...

I have a couple of those ACTI E77 domes and they really aren't worth the money; you get big blocky pixelation, not sharp edges. It is slightly improved with noise reduction disabled, but that results in a crazy amount of noise under low light so it isn't a good idea IMHO to keep noise reduction off. Also, it is probably the lack of an auto iris, but my south-facing one gets really blurry during the day when it is very bright.

Just have a look at this image at full size.

You could swear that I used a ~5 MP camera and upscaled the image (poorly!).

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But you are assuming the 4K cameras will be any better. When I asked Bosch about low light performance on there's, they said not that good and that's coming from a company known for their low light cameras.

As for snow, many cameras will do that because they get their exposure off highly reflective snow. Also, that water droplet on the dome is so sharp, maybe it's not focused for further objects. I'm so jealous you still have snow. It's was 92F yesterday and it's been like that on/off all winter. It's so warm at our mountain resorts we can't even make snow. There's still traces of snow at our higher elevations, 9-10,000'.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That snow has been gone for a long time now. That pic was from February. The water droplet was falling off the roof, not stuck to the dome - but yeah I agree it is so sharp that the cam is probably focused too close.

This is now. Still a little blurry, worse further out. But even the close-up stuff like the weeds under the cam look like a badly pixelated expressionist painting if you zoom to 100%.

Better pics from a cloudy day in February:
Noise reduction Disabled:

Noise reduction Enabled:

Again these are from the E77

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That snow has been gone for a long time now. That pic was from February. The water droplet was falling off the roof, not stuck to the dome - but yeah I agree it is so sharp that the cam is probably focused too close.

This is now. Still a little blurry, worse further out. But even the close-up stuff like the weeds under the cam look like a badly pixelated expressionist painting if you zoom to 100%.

Better pics from a cloudy day in February:
Noise reduction Disabled:

Noise reduction Enabled:

Again these are from the E77
12mp for under $300? How do they do that? Also those pictures do not look like 12mp, or what I would imagine it to look like, even things close to the camera look blurry, I'd be pretty pissed if they sold me that and told me it's 12mp, I think they are full of it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
E77 is advertised as 10MP but I think they use the term very loosely. I was disappointed too, and I have two of them.

The one in the back yard has usually much better focus since it faces north, away from the sun. Here are February pics from that cam:
Noise reduction Disabled

Noise reduction Enabled

Again, noise reduction smooths over fine details and highlights blocky edges that shouldn't exist in the first place. I'm not sure whether to blame the sensor or the camera's image processing. I'm sure this stuff will be much improved in the next few years when everyone starts selling 3840x2160 @ 30 FPS cameras. But as it is I feel like I bought a couple 3-5 MP domes with interpolation to 10 MP.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, those are only 10MP.

Even with my Hikvision, the amount of pixilation and blurring caused by aggressive noise reduction and sharpening is not perfect. The biggest effect comes from setting sharpness down to about 25% and I turn off noise reduction, but still there's pixilation and that's just at 3MP. This is better than what I was getting from Dahua, but not idea. It happens in some cases, not all, so most people don't notice it. I can show you if you don't know what I mean but it would look like the pixilation above, just way less noticeable because it's 3MP vs. 10MP.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Even with my Hikvision, the amount of pixilation and blurring caused by aggressive noise reduction and sharpening is not perfect. The biggest effect comes from setting sharpness down to about 25% and I turn off noise reduction, but still there's pixilation and that's just at 3MP. This is better than what I was getting from Dahua, but not idea. It happens in some cases, not all, so most people don't notice it. I can show you if you don't know what I mean but it would look like the pixilation above, just way less noticeable because it's 3MP vs. 10MP.
Here is a Hikvision 2032 bullet @ 3MP with no particular attention paid to image settings. This is the kind of native resolution image quality I expected from a brand like ACTI.

http://romehill.com/Wyocam44640.aspx

There is none of the blocky artifacts that are visible in much of the E77's image. You have to scale down the E77's image to about 75% original size before it starts looking as clean.