Axis p1204 Pinhole cameras are awful...

Rjp11043

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, these things have absolutely zero low light capability and the picture is so grainy it looks like your watching a television from the 50's. I got 3 of these for 50 so I figured there had to be a reason but dang, I can't believe they retailed at 400 a pop at one time.

Anyone else use these ? I've messed with the settings quite a bit and no luck.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you're looking at the 320x180 MJPEG, which may be because of not enough light, as it's supposed to be able to provide 720p via RTSP.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, these things have absolutely zero low light capability and the picture is so grainy it looks like your watching a television from the 50's. I got 3 of these for 50 so I figured there had to be a reason but dang, I can't believe they retailed at 400 a pop at one time.

Anyone else use these ? I've messed with the settings quite a bit and no luck.
you say this Axis camera model is crap without providing any picture sample nor the settings you are using nor the way you are watching the video stream...

Last edited:

Rjp11043

n3wb
Reaction score
I will reply tomorrow with my results. I'd be so stoked to find these cameras to be useful. I was trying but I've messed with shutter, brightness amongst a few others that I could think of.

If I use a high powered 840 nm hunting light it becomes day out to 150+ marks with my bottom tier hikvisian and dahua domes but no matter what setting these p1204's jwont pick up a speck of it

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will reply tomorrow with my results. I'd be so stoked to find these cameras to be useful. I was trying but I've messed with shutter, brightness amongst a few others that I could think of.

If I use a high powered 840 nm hunting light it becomes day out to 150+ marks with my bottom tier hikvisian and dahua domes but no matter what setting these p1204's jwont pick up a speck of it
I assume you purchased these used, based on the price you said you paid for all 3. If so, I'd be leery of settings in place by the previous owner and suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you perform a reset as on page 40 of the manual here.

It also has info on all its capabilities, stream URL's, etc.

How are you viewing the stream?

Possibly VLC player could be used with this URL:

Code:
rtsp://<ip>/axis-media/media.amp

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

These cameras dont have an IR cut filter. They wont pickup IR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you mean they **do have** an IR Cut filter that prevent IR to be visible ;-)
no i meant it does not have a mechanically removable ir filter - that is often referred to as simply an ir cut filter..but there is always someone:rolleyes: