fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
anyone else B-I up/down/rows not evenly spaced

my bottom row of cameras is larger then the rest of rows
its been like this for me for many versions now
ver 4.5.0.0
post an image
are you running cameras at different resolutions from each other?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah i still have a few old school 640480's in use
the first 3 rows look even
the last row isnt
That is normal and expected..the cameras are different aspect rations, the only way to make them even is to artificially stretch the image which would make things look weird...
You can use blue iris's anamorphic setting in the camera video tab to manipulate the aspect ration but it will record the image that way as well (if you really want this you can clone the cams and record the proper aspect ration and live display the others)

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is normal and expected..the cameras are different aspect rations, the only way to make them even is to artificially stretch the image which would make things look weird...
You can use blue iris's anamorphic setting in the camera video tab to manipulate the aspect ration but it will record the image that way as well (if you really want this you can clone the cams and record the proper aspect ration and live display the others)
i had a feeling that was the case
ill just let it be
its been like this for a long ass time

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
That is odd, I have four rows of cams with a mixture of 640x480 & 1920 x 1080 but only 4 cams per row. What are those real small cam windows you have in row 3 ? You could try to disable certain cams and the hide them too see if a particular cam is causing issue. I even tried adding a couple of new dummy cams so I would get 5 cams in a row, but all of my rows remain same size top to bottom.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is odd, I have four rows of cams with a mixture of 640x480 & 1920 x 1080 but only 4 cams per row. What are those real small cam windows you have in row 3 ? You could try to disable certain cams and the hide them too see if a particular cam is causing issue. I even tried adding a couple of new dummy cams so I would get 5 cams in a row, but all of my rows remain same size top to bottom.
There really small ones look like 1080p cameras in corridor mode.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
There really small ones look like 1080p cameras in corridor mode.
Well, I just learned something new....never seen that feature in any of my cams. I haven't ran any Axis for a few years, but I would start there and see if those are making your display rows uneven.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the small ones are hik 1080p cameras in corridor mode

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
the small ones are hik 1080p cameras in corridor mode
Ok, I tried setting my HIK cam to corridor mode and it made my cam window look like yours, BUT the rows remained even, so that's not it. In the past, whenever I have a goofy BI window sizing issue I go into the registry and delete the "windowsMetrics" folder. You can export this folder and save it first if you are worried, but BI will just regenerate a new one once you restart BI. I have attached a pic to its path.....something to try. When I grab BI's window and resize BI, it doesn't care if you have 1 row or 5 rows, on mine the rows always remain the same.

reg1.JPG

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i moved the 1920 x 1080 that was on the last row up one which moved all my 640x480's to the last row it **kinda** looks more even

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I found out what is going on. I found that if I have a even number of cams, you can resize BI window and all the rows stay the same. With a odd number of cams it will change row height like yours shows. I tested this on my other BI machine that is running all 1920x1080 cams and it will make bottom row bigger.

Well scratch that idea, by adding a 17th cam to other BI setup, they still remain same row height ??
At least I can reproduce what you have on other machine, but haven't figured out what it is doing :)

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
After playing with this for a couple of hours :) I come to the conclusion that you need to resize your BI overall window size AND it depends how you have your cams in the current layout. So if you can't get the bottom row to be the same size by resizing BI window then you must move some cams around and see how it behaves. There are too many variables to this such as number of cams, aspect size, and then your overall screen size. Hopefully you can find a happy combination. In my normal profile, I have 12 cams running 1920x1080, and if I resize my BI window they all just increase/decrease at the same rate.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if i disabled one of the 640 cams it looks normal which ends up at 20 cams

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
if i disabled one of the 640 cams it looks normal which ends up at 20 cams
yes, that was why at first I thought it was a odd/even thing, but it really depends how your cams are in the layout. I dragged one of my 640x480 to different a row and everything changes, so it is really a trial and error and see what happens. Good luck !

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, the cameras are exactly evenly spaced. Just not evenly sized. Blue Iris uses a layout method which tries very hard to lay out your cameras into a set of rows that 1) are perfectly rectangular with no blank areas inside the row, and 2) Span the entire width of the available area. The result, usually, is a very efficient use of the available screen space. But sometimes Blue Iris has to make some rows noticeably taller or shorter than other rows.

The layout method is a little odd and hard to understand, but it almost always yields a more space-efficient result than a naive grid like this one: