B5422E-Z4E / HFW5422E-Z4E specification

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Needing a 4MP camera with a long lens and the best possible low illuminance performance, I bought a B5422E-Z4E from Andy. It's an excellent camera. I am confused by the minimum illuminance specification - Andy's web site states 0.0006 lux. I now see that Dahua has published two specifications, the other one stating 0.002 lux. Do differing operating conditions account for the differing specifications?

Attachments

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed they rebranded this category of camera to the Wiz Mind from the Pro IA Series not sure if Dahua is moving away from the Pro series to this group of cameras moving forward and decided to update their specs on the lux.

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
On the data sheet for the 5442e-ze it has lux ratings for color @ 1/3s & 1/30s shutter speeds and B/W.
I would suspect they have changed which on is the wiz series rebrand. 0.002 is probably color @1/30s

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mmm - I guess there are several possibilities. I wondered if the difference refers to Dahua now specifying the minimum illumination (in colour and maybe 1/3s shutter) when at full optical zoom which I imagine is worse than when zoomed fully out.

It would be helpful if Dahua is able to clarify this parameter; it’s particularly significant for me because I’m hoping to buy a couple of high performance full colour cameras - see my query to bigredfish in Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Full-color Fixed-focal Bullet

Empiretecandy, are you able to clarify the specified figures please?

Reaction score
@Dave Lonsdale there has always been disconnects between how Dahua cams 'min illum' have been listed on their different spec sheets. Some are more forthcoming than others. You should use caution in using the min illumination value as your reason for picking a cam. While those values may help in differentiating between different brands/models/sensors, the exact numbers are more of a guide and represent a fairly subjective value based on perfect conditions.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The real question is where would you go if not the 5442 Z4E if 32mm is enough zoom for you? It seems to be the best color night time performer of any sub-$1000 camera. Heck, I'm not sure there is a $1000+ camera that will outperform it.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many thanks for the feedback guys. To be clear, I am very pleased with my new 5442 Z4E, it does have a very good low illuminance performance and its 32mm zoom is ideal for the position I bought it for.

And, samplenhold, I now realise I should just accept your advice. Having no ambient light where I live, I should forget about the 5422 ASE-NI for the other positions, select cameras sensitive to IR and try harder to find compromise settings without washout faces or blurring and yet still bright enough for identification.

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with asking questions.

Check out @Wildcat_1 review of the 5442 varifocal turret. He demoes several no/low light IR settings to help eliminate IR washout. Those might help you with the Z4E.