Backdoor Camera/Doorbell (Need to make a decision quick)

Reaction score
Hey folks... I know I should do my own due diligence but I'm sorta under the gun to hurry up and pick a back door camera. We have the masons coming to brick in our new addition to the back of the house next week. I'm hoping to get some quick feedback/recommendations on a solid doorbell type camera before they start work.

I'm running cat6 throughout the new addition to a PoE 24-port switch and was thinking I may as well hardwire a camera/doorbell.

Are there any suggestions/recommendations for a great camera of this type?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
def hardwire the doorbell location, and also another location on the porch, thats not too high up. usually want something eye height..

Reaction score
Thanks flynreelow... I'm looking to set up another hidden camera underneath the porch light (hardwired also). For now though, I really need a solid recommendation on a doorbell camera. I'm still open to suggestions/recommendations. The contractor is taking quite a bit of time to get back to us on the brick work so I still have a little bit more time.

Attachments

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks flynreelow... I'm looking to set up another hidden camera underneath the porch light (hardwired also). For now though, I really need a solid recommendation on a doorbell camera. I'm still open to suggestions/recommendations. The contractor is taking quite a bit of time to get back to us on the brick work so I still have a little bit more time.

alot of people including myslef like the RCA 3mp which is the same (nearly identical) as the LaView Halo, and a the Ez brand. Read up in this thread New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera for more info, pics, and video.

For the price, i think its killer. No cloud fee, great image. RTSP stream, and works with blue iris, sighthound, as well as other NVR...

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would run 18/2 as well as cat 6 to the doorbell location to future proof. (there are no (reasonably priced) POE doorbells (that work) today but in the future there may be). POE always gonna be better than WiFi and power, POE always gonna be better than ethernet and power.