Bandwidth consumption 2mp (1080p) vs 4mp?

Arise

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what would be the difference in bandwidth consumption for a single 2mp camera vs a 4mp camera?

Currently I get internet speeds that hover around 80 mbps (supposed to be 100, but we all know how that goes). I'm trying to figure out how many cameras (and what resolution) I can put up while planning out my home security system build. Thanks!

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Camera bandwidth is only really important on your local area network. How do you intend to view the video feed from remote?

Arise

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera bandwidth is only really important on your local area network. How do you intend to view the video feed from remote?
I will have an HDMI cable running from the NVR to a tv. Also, I would be live viewing at times from my smartphone.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
bandwidth consumption is going to be a function of frame rate and several other factors, so its difficult to answer.

Really, the issue is you're going to be viewing remotely -- its the bandwidth consumed by whatever server service (e.g. remote console to the BI server, web connection to the BI web site, using the BI smartphone app, etc.) you're going to use that is important.

Network IP Security Camera System Bandwidth Calculator

cctvnerd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 100 Mbits you mentioned is the download or upload rate? Like my previous speaker's already said the bandwidth you need depends on a lot of settings you can do in the camera. Normally the ip cameras support multiple streams. That means you record like in 4 MP locally and view with your smartphone in 4CIF. Or the recorder will do that for you using a special app...

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ive got a similar setup.

resolution you will run the cameras at depends on your granularity needs of the picture and any limitations on storage and memory.

im using local memory cards and so dont use the full resolution of the cameras.

but you have an nvr and so that issue isnt likely.

your limiting factor is your up link locally as you will be remote accessing. all those streams need to get out the uplink to your phone.

as the other person mention here i use the lower resolution option on tiny cam monitor pro, is see quickly.

any further investigation i use iVMS remote playback also on my phone.

run it to the max if youve got a decent nvr storage.

ive got local 60gb mem cards locally and get about 3 months with capture on motion/ line / intrusion across 4 cams set to around 1080p.

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I figured I'd better post here my relevant questions than opening a new thread.

I'm trying to determine the sweet spot for my IP cameras bandwidth consumption. I have 2 Amcrest PoE's currently set at 2304x1296, 10fps (VBR, quality set to 3-out-of-6) and I can see within BI that each one takes up an average of 500kb/s in real time with the above settings.

My question is, is 500kb/s OK for each camera in a gigabit environment? Should I increase or decrease it? I run 2 of those and probably am going to add another one in the future so, it will roughly make 1,5Mb/s.

What's the typical-standard bandwidth for an IP camera? I know this is a question that can't be answered with certainty, but I'd be interested to know what is the aimed bandwidth for every ip camera in everyone's setup.

The recording is being held by the BI server in the local netowrk and as far as remote viewing goes, I have ''capped'' the BI webserver to 1024kb/s.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I figured I'd better post here my relevant questions than opening a new thread.

I'm trying to determine the sweet spot for my IP cameras bandwidth consumption. I have 2 Amcrest PoE's currently set at 2304x1296, 10fps (VBR, quality set to 3-out-of-6) and I can see within BI that each one takes up an average of 500kb/s in real time with the above settings.

My question is, is 500kb/s OK for each camera in a gigabit environment? Should I increase or decrease it? I run 2 of those and probably am going to add another one in the future so, it will roughly make 1,5Mb/s.

What's the typical-standard bandwidth for an IP camera? I know this is a question that can't be answered with certainty, but I'd be interested to know what is the aimed bandwidth for every ip camera in everyone's setup.

The recording is being held by the BI server in the local netowrk and as far as remote viewing goes, I have ''capped'' the BI webserver to 1024kb/s.
You will never come close to saturating your gigabit network....run all your cameras at max if you want, wont matter except for taking up much more storage space...

Reactions: gtj

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will never come close to saturating your gigabit network....run all your cameras at max if you want, wont matter except for taking up much more storage space...
That's what I wanted to hear. I will max the bitrate of every cam but I'll keep the fps at 8-10 as there's an impact in CPU usage of the BI server.

Many thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I wanted to hear. I will max the bitrate of every cam but I'll keep the fps at 8-10 as there's an impact in CPU usage of the BI server.

Many thanks
Dont max bitrate..its a waste of storage space, I was just indicating that you can...for the most part you wont see any difference after about 4096 set in your camera settings for 2/4mp cameras..

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont max bitrate..its a waste of storage space, I was just indicating that you can...for the most part you wont see any difference after about 4096 set in your camera settings for 2/4mp cameras..
Hmm... Well I can tell there is substantial difference in picture quality between 4096 and 10240 for every camera. I don't mind storage space as I'm only recording on motion. The thing is whether the increased camera bitrate impacts CPU usage or not as increased framerates certainly do.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... Well I can tell there is substantial difference in picture quality between 4096 and 10240 for every camera. I don't mind storage space as I'm only recording on motion. The thing is whether the increased camera bitrate impacts CPU usage or not as increased framerates certainly do.
its in your head...take snapshots of a license plate with both settings....
even recording on motion, you will be able double your retention time with a lower bitrate.

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its in your head...take snapshots of a license plate with both settings....
even recording on motion, you will be able double your retention time with a lower bitrate.
Possibly it's my impression after all.

I have 2 more questions:
Is there a way to download recorded clips remotely from the BI webserver? If yes, I haven't figured how yet.

I'm also now re-encoding the recordings as direct-to-disc gave me blurry artefacts and ''ghosting'' under all possible settings and combinations. Is there anything else I should try in order to eliminate ghosting while recording directly to disc?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly it's my impression after all.

I have 2 more questions:
Is there a way to download recorded clips remotely from the BI webserver? If yes, I haven't figured how yet.

I'm also now re-encoding the recordings as direct-to-disc gave me blurry artefacts and ''ghosting'' under all possible settings and combinations. Is there anything else I should try in order to eliminate ghosting while recording directly to disc?
you can, but you have to manually watch the video and record...a better way would be to login via teamviewer or similar...
there are several threads that discuss ways to eliminate ghosting...if everything is setup properly you wont have it.
If you are reeconding, your settings can be such that its reducing the image quality..

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you can, but you have to manually watch the video and record...a better way would be to login via teamviewer or similar...
there are several threads that discuss ways to eliminate ghosting...if everything is setup properly you wont have it.
If you are reeconding, your settings can be such that its reducing the image quality..
I thought about running teamviewer 24/7 on the computer running the BI server. However, running another process at startup, I suspect it will spike CPU at an even higher level...

Now with re-encoding the videos in pretty decent quality, I get quite smooth recordings but CPU usage ranges between 50-55% with BI running as a process (no GUI) and no client connected. If I connect to the webserver via the mobile app or IE remotely, CPU levels rise at 80%. That's why I wanted to take advantage of the direct to disc recording setting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought about running teamviewer 24/7 on the computer running the BI server. However, running another process at startup, I suspect it will spike CPU at an even higher level...

Now with re-encoding the videos in pretty decent quality, I get quite smooth recordings but CPU usage ranges between 50-55% with BI running as a process (no GUI) and no client connected. If I connect to the webserver via the mobile app or IE remotely, CPU levels rise at 80%. That's why I wanted to take advantage of the direct to disc recording setting.
you dont want to be logged in 24/7....teamviewer when remote viewing will spike cpu, when its running in the background it does not user resources.

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you dont want to be logged in 24/7....teamviewer when remote viewing will spike cpu, when its running in the background it does not user resources.
Good point. I'll give it a try. Thanks!