Bandwidth issues.

Kaikou

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I am relatively new to using Blue Iris and IP cameras in general. I am having a strange bandwidth issue that I am hoping somebody might be able to help me understand...

I have 13 cameras (set at 1080p, 10 frames, 1024 bit rate) connected to an unmanaged switch. The switch has 2 gigabit ports. One is connected to the modem, and one is connected to the PC that is running blue iris and storing the video files.

The internet connection is 50 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up.

As I understand it, blue iris should not be using my modem's download bandwidth for much of anything, and should only be using the upload bandwidth when remote viewing through the web server. However when I enable these cameras one by one in blue iris and do an internet speed test, I can see my download speed rapidly drop to the point that the internet becomes unresponsive to any device connected to that modem. This happens whether or not I have the web server running.

Why is blue iris seemingly choking out my modem's download speeds when (if I understand correctly) it should primarily only affect my upload speed?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is an unmanaged switch and not very smart and the modem is not a router. All traffic goes everywhere. Very similar to the old ethernet hub.
What is the make and mdel of the switch ?
What is the make and model of the modem ?

What type of internet service do you have ?

what is the ip addresss of the cameras ?
What is the ip address of the BI PC ?
Do you have anything else plugged into the switch or modem ?

Kaikou

n3wb
Reaction score
If it is an unmanaged switch and not very smart and the modem is not a router. All traffic goes everywhere. Very similar to the old ethernet hub.
What is the make and mdel of the switch ?
What is the make and model of the modem ?

What type of internet service do you have ?

what is the ip addresss of the cameras ?
What is the ip address of the BI PC ?
Do you have anything else plugged into the switch or modem ?
Make and model of the switch: LTS POE-SW1602E
Make and model of the modem: Netgear cg3000dcr Comcast Business Class
Internet service: Business class with a static IP. 50 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up.
IP address of the cameras ranges from 192.0.0.61 to 192.0.0.73.
IP address of the BI PC: 10.1.10.15 (the modem's local address is 10.1.10.1)
The PC is getting its internet connection from the switch via one of the two gigabit ports. The other gigabit port goes to the modem/router.
Nothing else is currently connected to the modem.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If i remember my network address ranges correctly. You have your cameras assigned to external address not local private addresses. so the traffic goes to the internet. Also the cameras should be on the same subnet at the BI PC, if you only have one NIC card.

local addresses ranges
  • 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Your network configuration is a bit screwy. You have two subnets on the same switch. This can only work with VLANS which you don’t have since you said that switch is unmanaged.

You need to get all your devices on the same subnet. Are you paying for all those 192.x.x.x IP addresses? You don’t really need to be. You can access cameras from outside your LAN with port forwarding or a VPN if you have the expertise to set one up.

You need to set those cameras to get their IP via DHCP. The router will then hand out the IPs in the same subnet it’s handing out the IP address for the BI server in which is 10.1.10.x.

Kaikou

n3wb
Reaction score
Your network configuration is a bit screwy. You have two subnets on the same switch. This can only work with VLANS which you don’t have since you said that switch is unmanaged.

You need to get all your devices on the same subnet. Are you paying for all those 192.x.x.x IP addresses? You don’t really need to be. You can access cameras from outside your LAN with port forwarding or a VPN if you have the expertise to set one up.

You need to set those cameras to get their IP via DHCP. The router will then hand out the IPs in the same subnet it’s handing out the IP address for the BI server in which is 10.1.10.x.
I used NVMS7000 to configure the cameras initially and it seems every time I added a new camera it just defaulted its LAN IP to 192.0.0.64. So I manually changed them to all have their own 192.0.0.x addresses. I will try using the DHCP setting but ultimately the point is that if the BI PC local address is 10.1.10.15, then the cameras should also be 10.1.10.x? I assume I should set the BI PC's address as the gateway address on all of the cameras as well?

Is this potentially what is causing my modem to seemingly be "downloading" all of the activity that the cameras should only be communicating to BI?

Kaikou

n3wb
Reaction score
I went ahead and changed all of the camera IP addresses to 10.1.10.x (with x ranging from 20 to 32) and it looks like that did the trick. All of the cameras are running and my download speed appears to be unaffected.

Thank you both for the assistance.