Basic outdoor cam installation question

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What steps do you all take when installing a camera and testing its location before drilling a hole and running all wires to their final destination?

I want to temporarily install a cam above my front door, check out its viewing angle to determine perfect install location, and then once confirmed do the final drilling.

My only thought was to have POE switch, laptop, and running cat cable while holding camera in various locations maybe setting one screw to hang it on.....

Input appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I setup my phone to view the camera and use it to help as i can hold a phone in one hand and the camera in the other.. a tablet would work better but a laptop could be a PITA.

Once you think you'll be happy with that location use a single screw to help dial the FOV in on a bullet camera, if its a mini dome camera you can probably get away with using some heavy duty double sided tape for temporarily mounting it without any holes...

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perfect... My HDW4300C & HDW4300S just arrived... New to plug them in and configure them up.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I network the camera so I can view it remotely too, in gdmss on my tablet. There's a little lag, but it works fine. If you're not used to installing cameras, ideally you want the camera setup through a day and night to really see how it will handle both times of day. The more you do this stuff, the quicker you can see where and how to avoid problems and just commit to, and install the camera permanently in one shot. I wouldn't really depend on tape unless you're really sure it'll stay put. These cameras are too expensive to let smack the ground in error. A camera tripod up on a chair for height, or even pvc pipe rig could be more dependable options. Just don't break the camera over dropping it. That would be a tough one to get over!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is what I used for my lil PTZ testing: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Mounting-1-Inch-50-Inch/dp/B00004Z4A8

says it holds up to 5lbs and I believe it, nearly yanked my siding off with it... now permanent I would not trust it, but just incase it failed I looped the ethernet cable up and secured it so it wouldn't fall far if it did... I left it up for several days and moved it around a few times before picking its final spot, worked great.

For my big PTZ I drilled a hole in a 10' long 2x8 and mounted it to the end then secured it to a pole for testing; totaly temporary rig but it was the only thing tha'd work.. but its spot was already set and I just wanted to bench test it before drilling into the house.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hooked up HDW4300C to a 100ft network cable and installed a remote viewing app on my iPhone... works good just need to figure out how to best adjust the angle of the cam to capture front door & porch.

I'm assuming the 3.6mm is fixed inside this unit and I can just play with the allen screws to adjust the angle plus - mirror / and flip settings in the cam. Any tips on location for a wall mount above a door?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Might see if nellyssecurity.com can get it for you, they have other dahua mounts..