Basic Q: How to listen to audio on web UI?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Like the title says, I'm having trouble finding the control to turn on audio when viewing the web UI. I'm on the latest build (just let it take a recent update this morning), and my webUI is UI3 "UI3 - Blue Iris" is shown on the tab title.

If I remote into the BU PC, and use IE to hit the camera web page directly, I can hear audio from the cameras that have microphones. If I use the Android BI app, and press the headphone icon, I hear the audio also. But for some reason I'm not seeing the control in the UI3 interface on my local desktop.

Also, when I remote into the BI PC (Remote Desktop), and open the BI app, I don't hear audio, although I do hear it if I'm down there by the BI PC in person. Is there a way to get audio when using remote desktop in the the BI PC? Since audio works fine over RDP (and I hear it fine when remoting and hitting the cams directly), there's probably a solution I just haven't found.

But the main problem is the web UI3 audio. Where is the control? Sorry for what is probably a silly question.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Audio in UI3 won't work in IE. It will work in Edge, FireFox and Chrome.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
If you move the mouse down toward the lower left do you see a speaker icon with a slider bar?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
If you move the mouse down toward the lower left do you see a speaker icon with a slider bar?
Hmm. No, I don't. Here's a screen capture:

BI UI3 View.jpg
This is from one of my Dahua 5321 cameras that has a microphone and I can hear it on the app, for example. Just not in browser mode.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Aha!

I tried it in Chrome. In Chrome, the streaming is H264 and I get the sound option. What do I need to do to enable that in Firefox?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Aha!

I tried it in Chrome. In Chrome, the streaming is H264 and I get the sound option. What do I need to do to enable that in Firefox?
It may be a moot point. There is a new version of ui3 (27) posted by bp2008 which has issues with FF anyway. It uses HTML5's Media Source Extensions for improved performance but has issues in FF. Use chrome.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The other thing that's necessary is streaming UI3 in H264. Without that it won't work either. What version of FF are you running? I'm 0n 60.0.1 and audio works fine.

Reaction score
I'm using FF. I just made sure everything was updated this morning - FF was up to date, BI updated and mentioned a UI3 update in the notes.
Still, nothing. No audio controls or sound.
I do have the H264 codec (OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems V1.71).
What am I missing?
Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To enable H.264 streaming and audio in Firefox, type about:config in the address bar turn on the dom.streams.enabled and javascript.options.streams settings. Otherwise only Jpeg streaming is available, and that doesn't support audio. Regardless, Firefox does not do a good job with the video. I highly recommend Chrome instead. Or Opera if for some reason you can't stand Chrome.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Fergot all about domstream and javascript with FF, even though I just did that same thing the other day on another machine of my own. DUHHHH. Thanks, bp. As usual the answer was right there, behind the milk.

The "pulsing" effect n FF finally got to me and I'm using Opera now. As much as I hate that, it's better than anything with Google in its name.

Reaction score
To enable H.264 streaming and audio in Firefox, type about:config in the address bar turn on the dom.streams.enabled and javascript.options.streams....
Thanks bp. That did the trick for me. I do hate Chrome, but my usage isn't that frequent or critical, so FF is adequate.