Basic question on power

thx1138

n3wb
Reaction score
Im looking at this camera, IPC-HDBW5831R-ZE. And it supports both 12VDC and POE.

I will be fishing new wires for this camera and I have a Alronix 12V supply for PIR sensors.

Seems to me, if available, that using a 12V external power would be more practical than using an poe power injector?

And a side question: what is the difference between mounting brackets PFB203W and PFB204W ? Either would work, correct? From the spec sheets, I can see about 0.1 kg less weight in the PFB204W model...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im looking at this camera, IPC-HDBW5831R-ZE. And it supports both 12VDC and POE.

I will be fishing new wires for this camera and I have a Alronix 12V supply for PIR sensors.

Seems to me, if available, that using a 12V external power would be more practical than using an poe power injector?

And a side question: what is the difference between mounting brackets PFB203W and PFB204W ? Either would work, correct? From the spec sheets, I can see about 0.1 kg less weight in the PFB204W model...
Welcome @thx1138

1) Double check that you actually want a dome camera.
See the cliff notes as well as my list of references for examples / discussion of issues with domes outdoors:
Looking for some advice and direction!

2) PFB203W and PFB204W wall mounts: Different sizes - be certain to get the appropriate one for the camera you are picking up. ( see the data sheet for the camera you are getting, it should list junction boxes and wall mounts which work with the camera in question, or see the catalog which Andy ( empiretecandy ) published here and scroll to the end to see the accessory section )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Use POE. Do not use POE and 12v at the same time.
Don't use power injectors, get a proper POE switch. You need a switch for the cameras anyway.
POE Injectors & Switches for Security Camera Systems
Avoid Domes outdoors.

thx1138

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the info. FYI Follow up:

I decided to just use 48V 30 watt PoE injectors. I already have switches in my house.. Cisco 3750 in the attic and basement, connected with etherchannel. and a trunk from the attic switch to my home office, where I have a netgear GS724Tv4. I am figuring that if something fails with the power supply, for the PoE injector, I just replace the injector.. and not deal with a failed switch.. and leave the Alronix for other things.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn't the 3750 a POE switch? If you are running these cams into the 3750, you should be all set.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only if it has a PS at the end, eg 3750G-24PS. A TS is just a managed switch.

thx1138

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, the latter.. :-/ im not sure the P version has enough wattage, either...