Battery Backups for NVR & Bi pc

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What UPS's do you like and trust for this equipment?
Thank you

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Depends on what equipment it's backing up. If the BI PC is using an Active PFC power supply, you should probably consider using a CyberPower PFC series UPS.

I personally prefer CyberPower over APC. I've had many APC units in the past that have failed and/or shutdown during power outages, where the power has flickered on and off a couple of times before it finally went out.

My BI PC is running on a CyberPower 1350PFCLCD UPS. (My gaming PC is also on the same UPS. I don't leave my gaming computer on if I'm not using it.)

2nd BI location is using a CyberPower EC650LCD UPS. Both locations have standby generators, so UPS run-time isn't an issue.

I've only used APC and CyberPower UPS's. I can't comment on other manufactures.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Same, love my cyberpower active pfcs, you actually get protection from everything instead of just having it Kick over to the battery

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I've bought numerous APC's in the past and for the most part had very good service out of them.

I bought a Cyber power something, something, that I used on a 24/7 server. Just after 3yrs was up, UPS failed, and fried a serial port and a USB port on the server and shut it down. It just had a blank blue screen on the LCD. I cCBouldn't get the battery out of it to see if a new battery would solve the problem, but it never gave me a battery warning. I know, YMMV with anything electronic.

I've give the Sinewave CP a try. Thanks.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently bought 2 of the cyberpower 1500va units. Plan to use those with the nvr, Poe switches, etc for the ip cameras I plan to install. I've had several of the APC 1500va units for years, and have never had issues with them. Used to have frequent brownouts and power issues, and the larger ups units all have voltage regulation, so they have been a critical piece of gear for my computers and electronics. Last year, I was on generator power for 6 days after hurricane Matthew. Since the phone line was still operating, I was able to use the internet/ watch tv, etc. The APC units kept a clean, regulated power source for my computer, modem/router, and tv.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"
Quiet UPS
Advanced efficiency design (reduced fan operation),"
I wonder how well the reduced fan operation would hold up to adding bigger external batteries... hmm

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"
Quiet UPS
Advanced efficiency design (reduced fan operation),"
I wonder how well the reduced fan operation would hold up to adding bigger external batteries... hmm
Looking at the specs on CP web site, they don't exactly jive with what B&H has posted. Nothing is mentioned about fan on their site.
So, it's possible this model does not have a fan. YMMV.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Eh, I bought one to try out. Looks like I'm going to need some additional cooling anyways. 106 degrees where the poe switches are. I have a friend that bought a smaller unit like this, but put 2 deep cycle car batteries, after an hour, the solder looked like mercury on the board lol.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great read there! Thanks for posting. Did he like any UPS, I wonder?

I got a cyberpower PR1000LCD about 2 years ago and it has worked quite well. Much heavier old school style UPS than the CP line.
It's a beast to move though. Actually called their tech support and a Tech there talked me into the PR over the CP.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
He didn't dislike this one too much
APC BE550G Tear-Down

Seems like he finds issues with all the UPS's he dives into, which makes sense, they are built to a price point, to make a profit.
The 550 is obviously a smaller unit, but I may try one out, the low power draw is a plus.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wonder if there is a UPS that could keep my BI machine running for over a hour? It's about 100 watt machine.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a 750 about 6 years ago and it was a crap shoot as to whether or not the Dell Optiplex plugged into it would survive the switching time.
No such issues with the PR Cyber. Although the APC units may be better now. I agree about Eaton being good, but pretty spendy.