Battery Powered WiFi Outdoor Camera without Cloud Service

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm noticing that most outdoor battery powered wifi cameras seem to require cloud services. (Arlo Pro, Hikvision Mini Trooper, etc.) I'm not seeing many that don't require it. I don't think they should have that requirement. Anyone have any good experiences with ones that don't have a cloud service requirement?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm noticing that most outdoor battery powered wifi cameras seem to require cloud services. (Arlo Pro, Hikvision Mini Trooper, etc.) I'm not seeing many that don't require it. I don't think they should have that requirement. Anyone have any good experiences with ones that don't have a cloud service requirement?
not going to happen...thats how they make the money...there is also a technical hurdle to overcome in that those cams are off 99 percent of the time...they turn on and start recording...this requires the camera to buffer the feed until it can upload it...it will never work with third party software and they will never develop pc software that will allow for this because there market is simply not there...their user base will never run their own servers..

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not going to happen...thats how they make the money...there is also a technical hurdle to overcome in that those cams are off 99 percent of the time...they turn on and start recording...this requires the camera to buffer the feed until it can upload it...it will never work with third party software and they will never develop pc software that will allow for this because there market is simply not there...their user base will never run their own servers..
This seems like a small gap in the market. Why can't the camera just send the buffered data to the base station's usb drive? Many of them have usb slots that allow for a regular USB hard drive to be hooked up to it and they put the backup copy on that USB drive. Why not just have a simple setting that bypasses the cloud requirement for people who might use it and charge a bit more for that camera line for the cost of the camera? I have read the Arlo Pro reviews and on netgear's own support site many people are complaining that they love the camera but are returning them because they don't want to use the crummy cloud service. All the other competitors of the Arlo seem to be doing the exact same thing unfortunately. One of the number one complaints of these cameras is that the cloud service fails very often, causes an initial connection delay, and some people want to keep their streams to themselves, etc.

I get powering down to save power, having a base station that saves power, etc., but the number of complaints against the cloud services shows that there is a growing demand for some of these to be cloudless. Hopefully it is allowed soon.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This seems like a small gap in the market. Why can't the camera just send the buffered data to the base station's usb drive? Many of them have usb slots that allow for a regular USB hard drive to be hooked up to it and they put the backup copy on that USB drive. Why not just have a simple setting that bypasses the cloud requirement for people who might use it and charge a bit more for that camera line for the cost of the camera? I have read the Arlo Pro reviews and on netgear's own support site many people are complaining that they love the camera but are returning them because they don't want to use the crummy cloud service. All the other competitors of the Arlo seem to be doing the exact same thing unfortunately. One of the number one complaints of these cameras is that the cloud service fails very often, causes an initial connection delay, and some people want to keep their streams to themselves, etc.

I get powering down to save power, having a base station that saves power, etc., but the number of complaints against the cloud services shows that there is a growing demand for some of these to be cloudless. Hopefully it is allowed soon.
They will never allow it...dont hold your breath.....that said, battery powered cams are horrific and a waste of time...wire it up..

Reaction score
I agree! Though Arlo pro has got a local back-up option through flash drives, it would've been better if it won't require cloud storage. The storage fee are just way too costly. This review here showed that the motion detection can drain its batteries. I hope the battery gets improved -.-

Last edited:

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree! Though Arlo pro has got a local back-up option through flash drives, it would've been better if it won't require cloud storage. The storage fee are just way too costly. This review here showed that the motion detection can drain its batteries. I hope the battery gets improved -.-
Looks like they finally have one that doesn't require cloud and is onvif compliant.

NETGEAR Introduces FlexPower, Industry’s First Wire-Free, Battery-Powered ONVIF-Compliant Security Camera

Wish there wasn't a paywall on ipvm though. They did a review of it.

ONVIF Wire Free Camera Tested (Netgear FlexPower)

I think it's only 720p but the way the previous Arlo's worked was that the first one was 720p and then they added a 1080p after. This cam seems similar to an Arlo so it may get 1080p eventually.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like they finally have one that doesn't require cloud and is onvif compliant.

NETGEAR Introduces FlexPower, Industry’s First Wire-Free, Battery-Powered ONVIF-Compliant Security Camera

I think it's only 720p but the way the previous Arlo's worked was that the first one was 720p and then they added a 1080p after. This cam seems similar to an Arlo so it may get 1080p eventually.
The images are not good...more importantly despite their false claims it cannot be properly integrated into a vms because proper integration requires a constant stream which cannot be done on battery...so you will never have a constant live stream..as with all other battery powered cams a busy scene will drain the batteries in a few days...more importantly they you are paying 329 for a 720 camera + perpetual battery changes..there is no scenario other than a very temporary setup that makes sense..
IPVM has charges a fee because he provides a valuable service that comes at a cost....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi LittleScoobyMaster,

There's a lot of competition in the wire free segment.

Arlo, Arlo Pro - both 720p - finally Netgear got 1080p with the Arlo Pro 2.

The problem is that they are still very unreliable ( Arlo, Arlo Pro ) - and I expect their new products to be also rather unreliable.

FLIR / Lorex also has a wire free product which recently came out - Wire Free Security Camera Systems

I guess renters will be the primary users ( who are often not allowed to install a wired system ), as I just do not see this product segment being reliable.