Been a while - need to refresh Hikvision Kit, tell me which NVR and Turrets cams to go for....

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a while, just wanted to chime in and see what the crack is with the latest Hikvision kit is.

At the moment, I have a 4 channel Hikvision NVR DS-7604N-E1 / 4p which only has h264 compression, but it's killing my bandwidth as I have it 24/7
So did some research, am I right in thinking these are the latest 4 channel ones with 265+ compression: DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) and DS-7604NI-Q1/4P. Anyone know what the difference between these is, the spec looks the same on the Hik website....

Secondly, got a DS-2CD2335FWD-I EXIR turrent - which I bought for its superior Night vision recording. What's the best one to go for now, with night recording in mind?

As always, thanks for your suggestions...

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have on of those but I am running 12TB of memory. I use it for my 4 license plate cameras that run 24/7. That is good for a little over a month of storage. I need to check it again.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Consider the ColorVu range for night recording. I haven't got my hands on one yet but it looks promising.
Yeah I looked at the ColorVu, looks good with 0.0014 lux (without the LED on) if that's really true. Only problem I have is the only places local that have them are all 2.8mm lens, i'd want a 4mm
Very tasty looking those ColorVu camera, am I right in thinking the dimension (diameter) is much bigger than the DS-2CD2335FWD-I I have?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The K1 NVR is being replaced with the Q1 - as such I wouldn't buy a K series NVR now as firmware updates are unlikely to continue. The K series uses the dated version 3 GUI whereas the Q will use the the up to date version 4. Some elements of camera setup that have to carried out directly on the camera web page if using version 3 (shutter speed, min/max object size in analytics) can be carried out directly on the NVR menu or webpage if using version 4. If you can stretch to it the I series is the "performance" model.

The Easy IP 4 series (Color Vu, Acu sense) are as you say larger than the previous models. Annoyingly the recess is no longer large enough to seat the weatherproof connection directly behind the camera so you'll need to use a backbox, bracket or widen the hole/provide a recess to sit the connector in.

I myself don't rate the Color Vu. Yes it can provide colour images in low light with its F1.0 aperture but by default it comes set at 1/12s shutter speed which won't give you a usable image of anything moving faster than a three toed sloth. Increase that shutter speed to a more useful value and without sufficient ambient light you're going to be using the integral white LED for illumination. I find the white LED harsh/intrusive and it can make human faces featureless during playback. If you have any lighting in the scene, depending on placement it can cause strange colour casts and spoil the image with haloing around the light source due to the large aperture. It also doesn't have a mechanical IR filter. I have one and I'll be removing it from my system.

Yesterday I finally replaced one of my DS-2CD2385WD-I (old 4K turret) with the 4MP Acu Sense turret DS-2CD2346G1-I. It's early days but so far I'm impressed. Motion detection is disabled but it has 4 x line crossing, 4 x intrusion detection rather than just 1 and the human only, vehicle only, false alarm filter seems to be working very well. As the motion is disabled the NVR timeline isn't a solid green bar of false smart events.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the ColorVu the only Hik model with the new 4MP 1/1.8” image sensor?

Dahua has two versions. One version is just like the ColorVu, plus a “traditional” version with IR instead of LED.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the ColorVu the only Hik model with the new 4MP 1/1.8” image sensor?

Dahua has two versions. One version is just like the ColorVu, plus a “traditional” version with IR instead of LED.
I'm not sure you can qualify the 4mp 1/1.8" sensor as "new" but the Hikvision 5 line Smart Series has had it for years (with built in IR)

Screenshot_20200126-090558_Chrome.jpg

The DS-2CD5A46G0-IZHS will probably be my next cam purchase. I just wish there was some more info / reviews for the 5 line performance.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can qualify the 4mp 1/1.8" sensor as "new" but the Hikvision 5 line Smart Series has had it for years (with built in IR)

View attachment 54609

The DS-2CD5A46G0-IZHS will probably be my next cam purchase. I just wish there was some more info / reviews for the 5 line performance.
I have two of the 5 line vari focal bullets and they are the best cameras I have - they are the DS-2CD5A46G0. They are Darkfighter as opposed to “powered by” Darkfighter. With a small amount of ambient light it’ll stay in colour all night if you set a shutter speed of 1/75 second. Far cleaner image than the 2 line cameras. One strange thing I’ve noticed is that although both my cameras are the same model and firmware- the newer one has auto iris, P iris settings whereas the 2018 model does not. Again like the Acu sense they have 4 x line crossing, 4 x intrusion detection etc.

Each of the Hik cameras is good in one area. The ultimate would be if they made the 5 line 4mp varifocal as a turret and added the Acu Sense technology. Problem solved (apart from the cost)

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have two of the 5 line vari focal bullets and they are the best cameras I have - they are the DS-2CD5A46G0. They are Darkfighter as opposed to “powered by” Darkfighter. With a small amount of ambient light it’ll stay in colour all night if you set a shutter speed of 1/75 second. Far cleaner image than the 2 line cameras. One strange thing I’ve noticed is that although both my cameras are the same model and firmware- the newer one has auto iris, P iris settings whereas the 2018 model does not. Again like the Acu sense they have 4 x line crossing, 4 x intrusion detection etc.

Each of the Hik cameras is good in one area. The ultimate would be if they made the 5 line 4mp varifocal as a turret and added the Acu Sense technology. Problem solved (apart from the cost)
Any way you could provide a video or pics of its low light performance?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any way you could provide a video or pics of its low light performance?
Couple of pics from last night. Previously I had a 2CD2385FWD-I 8MP turret covering the cars which wasn't much use when viewing at actual size in low light - very noisy and a lot of visible artefacts.

5A46G0 Colour.jpg

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can qualify the 4mp 1/1.8" sensor as "new"
Sorry, I meant in terms of that sensor being new to the series of cameras that most folks here find affordable. I.e. similar price to the ColorVu

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant in terms of that sensor being new to the series of cameras that most folks here find affordable. I.e. similar price to the ColorVu
I assumed that's what you were referring to. I'm 99% certain Hikvison doesn't carry a 1/1.8" sensor in any other camera in the $100 to $200 price range. The 5 series I mentioned above ranges any where from $350 to $700 range.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far, so leaving the ColorVu out of the race (don't like the idea of an LED light for low light), which would be best Turret for Night capture with a 4mm lens? Would you say a Darkfighter or a Accu-sense?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The best turret? I have the DS-2CD2H25FHWD-IZS which is the only Powered by Darkfighter (not darkfighter) turret available. And IMO it does a pretty good job.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Coney, looking at the specs, my old and current DS-2CD2335FWD-I (0.008 lux) is marginally worse in low light than your DS-2CD2H25FHWD-IZS (0.0068 lux)

That mean Powered by Darkfighter is better than Pure Darkfighter…?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited: