Beginner looking for guidance/ suggestions

impactfz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post although i have been searching through the forums for the past month or so. I have finally decided to buy some cameras for my personal home and i think i have narrowed my search down to a 4k Lorex system and a 4K Swann system.Im looking to record continuously 24/7 with the ability to remotely view on a Iphone or Ipad while traveling. So a user friendly app would be a plus as im not very tech savy. I have attached links to the specific kits i am interested in below.

4K Ultra HD IP 8 Channel NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 130FT Night Vision, 2TB Hard Drive

Swann 8 Channel Security System: 4K Ultra HD NVR-8580 with 2TB HDD & 4 x 4K Thermal Sensing Bullet Cameras NHD-885MSB

Im needing 6 cameras total so i would just purchase two NHD-885 cameras seperately to bring that kit to 6 total.

Both kits seem to be pretty similar, the only difference i have noticed is:

Swann system can record sound as where the Lorex cannot.

Lorex NVR is expandable up to 12TB (if needed) and it doesn't look like the Swann NVR is expandable past 6TB.

I know i have probably shown my ignorance on the subject but i would love to hear if anyone has any input or suggestions regarding these two systems, the quality, or even screenshots if you are running the same cameras.

Thank you.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post although i have been searching through the forums for the past month or so. I have finally decided to buy some cameras for my personal home and i think i have narrowed my search down to a 4k Lorex system and a 4K Swann system.Im looking to record continuously 24/7 with the ability to remotely view on a Iphone or Ipad while traveling. So a user friendly app would be a plus as im not very tech savy. I have attached links to the specific kits i am interested in below.

4K Ultra HD IP 8 Channel NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 130FT Night Vision, 2TB Hard Drive

Swann 8 Channel Security System: 4K Ultra HD NVR-8580 with 2TB HDD & 4 x 4K Thermal Sensing Bullet Cameras NHD-885MSB

Im needing 6 cameras total so i would just purchase two NHD-885 cameras seperately to bring that kit to 6 total.

Both kits seem to be pretty similar, the only difference i have noticed is:

Swann system can record sound as where the Lorex cannot.

Lorex NVR is expandable up to 12TB (if needed) and it doesn't look like the Swann NVR is expandable past 6TB.

I know i have probably shown my ignorance on the subject but i would love to hear if anyone has any input or suggestions regarding these two systems, the quality, or even screenshots if you are running the same cameras.

Thank you.
Welcome Impactfz,

Uncertain about the OEM of that Swann kit - looking to hear more about it. I would hold off on it until you can learn more about it.

Do follow @SouthernYankee suggestion and review the wiki notes.

The most important thing to start out with is an understanding of what you would like to accomplish.

impactfz

n3wb
Reaction score
So ive read through the cliff notes in the wiki section and not im totally confused. lol. I guess its all part of the learning curve. It seems as thought maybe the best option would be to piece together my own system versus buying a "kit".

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So ive read through the cliff notes in the wiki section and not im totally confused. lol. I guess its all part of the learning curve. It seems as thought maybe the best option would be to piece together my own system versus buying a "kit".
Hi Impactfz,

Start with writing down what you want to accomplish.

Example:
Protect my parked cars at night. Car parked on driveway / street / ...
Protect mail / mail box...

Note - while I use the term protect - security / surveillance cameras by themselves are not a complete solution to "protect" - more of a "watch over" and provide evidence.

impactfz

n3wb
Reaction score
Exactly! I would just like to watch my doors as well as front yard/ street and the rear of the property. i dont have one specific goal in mind, just more of an overall layer of protection to provide evidence like you mention.. Pretty much just want to be able to keep an eye on my property when i travel out of town which is weekly. This is another reason i would prefer a system with a user friendly app

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly! I would just like to watch my doors as well as front yard/ street and the rear of the property. i dont have one specific goal in mind, just more of an overall layer of protection to provide evidence like you mention.. Pretty much just want to be able to keep an eye on my property when i travel out of town which is weekly. This is another reason i would prefer a system with a user friendly app
Hi @impactfz

1) There is no perfect system. Everything is a compromise. Remember you do not have to just look for one product to meet your requirements.

2) It's hard to design something if you don't know what you want it to do.

Example:
Potential Home Owner: "I want a house"
Home Builder: "What kind of house?"
Potential Home Owner: "A nice one"

So do look at the cliff notes - look for the notes on determining what you want to cover, and start with that.

If you just want to skip to buy something, then this is what I picked up - and it works well.

1) Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( from Andy - see the vendor section ) (*)
2) Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras IPC-HDW5231R-Z ( now a newer model is out the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE )
3) Dahua OEM junction box - PFA137 -> get the newer model PFA130-E ( get one per each camera )
4) Dahua OEM 2MP starlight mini-dome wedge camera IPC-HDBW42xxF.. ( one for the front door, mounted at face level )
5) Western Digital Purple HDD - get a 4TB or larger.
6) + bulk cable and parts from Monoprice
7) 24 port Trendnet Patch panel from Amazon

( * )
#1 ) - popular to replace with a windows i5/i7 PC running Blue Iris + a PoE switch. - see the notes on Blue Iris in the wiki on recommended hardware specs, as you can often find good deals on used PCs. See the cliff notes for the link to the switch list.