Best $200 or less Turret with varifocal lens with and without audio

Steele6794

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I've read the stickys but I got overwhelmed with all the model numbers so can someone please link me the models sold by empiretecandy that I should buy?

I'm looking for the best turret style cameras with varifocal lens with and without audio so I'd like a link to both models and I'd like to spend $200 or less per camera. They will be used for general yard monitoring.

Would I be correct to say the models I need are the Loryta IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. For the one i need with audio and the Loryta IPC-T2231T-ZS for my non-audio needs?

Reaction score
I have two T5442 fixed lens cams, one in 2.8mm and the other in 6mm. They are great cams. The varifocal cam that @TheDank lists above is a great cam also. It was not yet released when I bought those two. I will be replacing a couple 5231's with it when I do my next go-round.

I have one T2231T-AS-S2 on my porch. I really like that cam. I have plenty of light there and it does great in color at night. See below.

FPLE.20201015_230812725_1.jpgFPLE.20201016_135744496_1.jpg These pics were just after install and I have not yet worked the settings, so they are the defaults.

To get the best price from Andy, send him an email and tell him you are an IPCAMTALK member. Tell him what you want and he will quote you a price. You pay with Paypal and he ships directly from Hong Kong. Usually takes about a week to USA. His email is kingsecurity2014@163.com

Steele6794

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's what you're looking for from Andy. Just under $200!

This one is a varifocal turret and has audio. You can look around his AliExpress or Amazon store for different features, but TL;DR you want one of the 5442 series.

You're right that the 5231 with audio and the 2231 without are great, and less expensive, but the 5442's are even better and they still come in under budget.

I have different variations of all three, I definitely recommend the 5442. Better resolution AND better low light capability. Sadly a bit more expensive though. But still under your $200 limit! :cool:
Thank you very much for the recommendations and it's looks like I'll be picking up a few of the 5442's.

Steele6794

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two T5442 fixed lens cams, one in 2.8mm and the other in 6mm. They are great cams. The varifocal cam that @TheDank lists above is a great cam also. It was not yet released when I bought those two. I will be replacing a couple 5231's with it when I do my next go-round.

I have one T2231T-AS-S2 on my porch. I really like that cam. I have plenty of light there and it does great in color at night. See below.

View attachment 72893View attachment 72894 These pics were just after install and I have not yet worked the settings, so they are the defaults.

To get the best price from Andy, send him an email and tell him you are an IPCAMTALK member. Tell him what you want and he will quote you a price. You pay with Paypal and he ships directly from Hong Kong. Usually takes about a week to USA. His email is kingsecurity2014@163.com
I will send him an email. Thank you for that tip.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5200 series is the go to. The AI series above that sound cool but more $ and debatable on how well the AI actually works.? I’ve not tested one.

5208 or 5216 and then decide if you want built in PoE or go with an external switch

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's what you're looking for from Andy. Just under $200!

This one is a varifocal turret and has audio. You can look around his AliExpress or Amazon store for different features, but TL;DR you want one of the 5442 series.

You're right that the 5231 with audio and the 2231 without are great, and less expensive, but the 5442's are even better and they still come in under budget.

I have different variations of all three, I definitely recommend the 5442. Better resolution AND better low light capability. Sadly a bit more expensive though. But still under your $200 limit! :cool:

how many watts does this 5442 varifocal pull off a POE switch?

edit.. looks to be about 7.5 watts? is this correct?

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You were talking about the audio and guys mentioned the 5442
I'm using both B5442E-ZE and the turret 5442T-ZE.
I can tell you that the bullet has audio in and out jacks that are more professional and the T-ZE has build in audio
I was NOT looking for the audio and didn't expect a thing of it.
BUT I can tell you that if there has been one big surprise it was the audio of the 5442T-ZE
The noise reduction is great and it's even embarrassing to hear people walking and chatting on the street.
From 30 feet away, I can hear not only the pedestrians, I can hear well the one they are talking to on the phone.

katalyst

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the 2231 still the recommended varifocal if my budget is more around that price? I wish I knew what focal length I needed for the spots I have but not sure how I'd work that out.

The 5442 looks great, but over budget when i have to buy a few of them. I also see the 3241 as the other choice?

Last edited:

tyler2you

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the 2231 still the recommended varifocal if my budget is more around that price?

I also see the 3241 as the other choice?
I think if you read the reviews on both, you'll find the 3241 is preferred as the 2MP Varifocal choice currently. It has audio and from what I remember, an improved lux rating and detection features (SMD, IVS).

Reaction score
Is the 2231 still the recommended varifocal if my budget is more around that price? I wish I knew what focal length I needed for the spots I have but not sure how I'd work that out.
I have an IPC-T2231T-ZS-S2 on the porch. It is a great cam. No audio, but I have other cams nearby that have audio. I also have lots of light on the porch. This cam is a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor. Varifocal range is 2.7-13.5mm. For about $125 it is a great cam. I have no experience with the 3241 so I can't compare.

As far as using a varifocal cam to decide the fixed lens FOV for a particular location, use a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes and get the view you want. Then in the cam's web GUI you can read the zoom number for the current view. Use this along with the maximum zoom amount to calculate the equivalent fixed lens size using the Focal Length Calculator in the WIKI:

Here is the zoom indicator:
Screenshot 2020-10-24 134547.JPG

So here 1400 = 9.2mm

So if you are on a tight budget, get one varifocal cam and use it to determine the fixed lens size needed at each spot. Then you could order the most appropriate cams for each spot. Realize that there usually is only three lens options for most of the Dahua fixed lens cam models, that being 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm.

katalyst

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information both of you.

With the 2231 and 3241, these should still perform well in low light situations (not total darkness, we are suburban so always some lighting around.)

Also thanks for the stuff on testing the focal length. Is there then an equivalent 3241 that I can then choose and save some money?

I think my original research a while ago did find one, but it's only came in a 2.8 and 3.6 length.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of HDW4231EM-ASE. Fixed focal length, mic, 2MP and good low light. Check with @EMPIRETECANDY to see if they're still available. They come in 2.8, 3.6 and 6mm and are a turret form factor.