Best bulk Cat6 cable (+ accompanying RJ-45 connectors) for small outdoor runs?

Xpred

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to run about eight Cat6 cables to hook up to my 2K/4K IP CCTV system. Each cable will run no more than 60-90 feet per camera from the NVR, which majority of dome cameras themselves will be placed externally. However, only about 5-10 feet (or slightly more depending on camera location) of cable will be exposed to the outside, coming out of from my attic and tapered along the edge of the house wall. This is where I wanted a wire that would be protected from outside elements.

Thus, I am looking for a bulk cable that provides ample protection against UV sunlight, freezing temperatures (it can get pretty cold here with ice & snow), is waterproof (tons of rain here), and is overall rated for exterior use. I wasn't planning on using a conduit if I don't have to -- so I was thinking UTP cable (as opposed to STP) would do. Only 1 camera's cable will be close to a small power line that runs off on my house, but I am not too worried about interference there (or should I?). Other cameras are placed close to electrical light sources for best viewing.

I looked at direct burial cables but since I am not planning on burying any wires nor running them through any conduits, I wasn’t so sure if this is the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas on what bulk cable to buy (brand/type)?

In addition, because of the way the cameras are designed themselves (consumer grade Lorex, heh), about 1-2” of electrical wire from the camera themselves will have to be exposed and connected to the existing Cat6 cable. So if there’s any recommendations on any exterior or waterproof-type accompanying RJ-45 connectors or covers that would add further protection and minimize possibility of connector damage, I’ll buy them as well.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
dont buy or use no name cable...biggest mistake you can make...there are known good brands why mess with this stuff..
I'll let you know what the label on the box and or wire says about the manufacture... Plus I will be able to test it to make sure it is Cat6 and Solid copper...

I would think that ones biggest mistake would be CCA...

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll let you know what the label on the box says about the manufacture... Plus I will be able to test it to make sure it is Cat6 and Solid copper...

I would think that ones biggest mistake would be CCA...
Why risk it... there can be other defects... makes no sense...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, I missed that. However shouldn't all cabling be in PVC piping if outside?
It depends.
I've been running Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro outdoors and not in conduit for 5 years, has UV resistant HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) jacket.
It's also shielded, could be a plus, especially in the 'Lightning Capital' of FL, if properly terminated.
Cross any 120VAC lines at right angle, don't run parallel.
Consider any conductor in PVC conduit, if underground, to be flooded with water eventually, so use outdoor-rated cable in them.
Protect camera pigtails and connectors from direct exposure to sun, rain, etc. Under an eave, overhang or soffit qualifies as 'non-direct'.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will not know about issues until after it is run... Worst thing you can do is be cheap on cable
I'm not disagreeing, matter in fact i agree... maybe that's why I returned the Reolink system, and my Cat5e cabling... day late and a dollar short LOL I searched and did my best to post and find info on everything I needed...

So whether it is made by a good manufacture or not, I will not know until it arrives on Monday... I tried not to over look anything, so maybe I did, or maybe I will be surprised? Hope it's the latter or the two.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing, matter in fact i agree... maybe that's why I returned the Reolink system, and my Cat5e cabling... day late and a dollar short LOL I searched and did my best to post and find info on everything I needed...

So whether it is made by a good manufacture or not, I will not know until it arrives on Monday... I tried not to over look anything, so maybe I did, or maybe I will be surprised? Hope it's the latter or the two.
It's Amazon return it and order from well-known brand...

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's Amazon return it and order from well-known brand...
So where is a link to where everyone has talked about compared brands and quality Cat6 Cabling? I seem to have overlooked it when searching the forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So where is a link to where everyone has talked about compared brands and quality Cat6 Cabling? I seem to have overlooked it when searching the forum.
There is no link...many threads discuss cable...easiest it to buy from monoprice...there are other good options as well.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition, because of the way the cameras are designed themselves (consumer grade Lorex, heh), about 1-2” of electrical wire from the camera themselves will have to be exposed and connected to the existing Cat6 cable. So if there’s any recommendations on any exterior or waterproof-type accompanying RJ-45 connectors or covers that would add further protection and minimize possibility of connector damage, I’ll buy them as well.
Welcome Xpred,

I like to use junction boxes, see #6 and #30 in my notes, and if the cable is exposed outside remember to make a drip loop.

Also silicone stretch tape around the connection...

---
It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction! ( <- my notes see #6 and 30 )

Have fun joining us here.