BEST cam under $300

imow304

n3wb
Reaction score
PLEASE somebody just give me an HONEST answer. I want to know what camera is the ABSOLUTE BEST for under $300 per camera. The only requirements being a hardwired connection, 80°-120° wide angle view, no monthly fees, decent night vision and a fixed lens. I hope somebody can really help clear this up? Thanks in advance.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know anyone here who would give you a DISHONEST answer... "ABSOLUTE BEST" depends on how you're going to use a camera. There is rarely a camera that is the "ABSOLUTE BEST" in every situation.

So in other words, telling folks here the specs you want in a camera (hardwired, FOV, no fees, good minimum illumination performance, fixed lens) is usually NOT ENOUGH information for them to recommend a specific camera model.

Please post more about how you're going to use this camera. Where/how will it be mounted? What is the distance in feet between the camera and the cars whose license plates you want to try and capture... chances are a fixed lens won't give you enough PPF and you'll need a varifocal.

imow304

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you think that the people who gave you quite a few answers in your other thread Best all around picture quality cam under $300 weren't being honest?
No, just being straight forward. More clearly, 1 night owl, 2 Lorex systems and $3,100 later I’m tired of “spotty” products. I’m not exactly looking for $50 cameras so I expect great picture quality atleast within 100’-150’ feet and I most certainly expect great reliability and build quality as well. Did you have a suggestion or are you just making casual conversation?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras I mentioned to you in your other thread will fit your needs.

For quality at 100-150 feet, you will NEVER get that with a 2.8mm camera. You will need a varifocal and the 2mp, 12x zoom is the one you most likely need. A fixed lens of say 60mm will cost you much more than a varifocal with capabilities up to 60mm.

What is your reason for no varifocal - they are the most versatile and allow you to dial it in to you situation.

But these are like automobiles - they are subjective and everyone on here will have their preferences. And a camera for one situation might not be the best camera in another situation.

@SouthernYankee posted a link in your other thread to all the reviews of cameras by folks on this forum. It is now your turn to review those, especially the videos so that you can see for yourself the performance of the cameras and imagine it to your location and if it is close enough in terms of ambient light, etc.

Most on here started the same route you did, bought a kit, bought another, and now to this point. I was there. These reviews and being able to see the cameras in action on the videos were instrumental in me to determine the ones I needed for my situation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you have a suggestion
You really need to read the Cliff Notes.

Most folks here enjoy helping out new users, but they have to try and read the vast array of knowledge docs already on here. Just asking for an 'honest answer' for the 'best camera under $300' just pisses people off. No one is going to do your research for you.

So here are some to look at:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Any Dahua starlight models ..... are ...... the best period.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Both.

Suggestions:
  1. Try to look at the suggestions that people have given you so far in your other thread and that some have repeated here in this thread. They even gave you links that all you have to do is click on.
  2. The Dahua 5442 line of 4MP Startlight+ cameras are really good. They're finally releasing it in a varifocal turret, which will probably be the most popular among the users here. It also comes in a longer-lens Z4 variant.
  3. Do read the Cliff Notes. It will be a lot of reading, but once you get through it you might find that the work you put into it was worth it. It won't magically give you all of the answers you seek, but it will help you learn enough to be able to do more meaningful searching and reading, which will lead to more learning and the ability to ask more questions and become part of the community.
Casual Conversation:
It was annoying that your first post after joining was a request for the cam with the best picture quality for under $300, which you got quite a few good responses to with actual suggestions of which cameras to look at. Your next post came across as those suggestions not being good enough and that people didn't do enough work for you. Or maybe even that they're not being "honest."

See how that sounds?
Do you have any info, model #, on the varifocal coming out?

Thanks,
David

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will do, thanks guys. Once I get the model # I will share...I am thinking this varifocal turret would be great to have in our backyard...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @David L sorry I forget which thread it was (can't find it now); somebody mentioned it a week or two ago, which I was very happy to see, I have a new installation and I've been waiting anxiously for it. Like @TechBill sez, ask Andy about it, I assume he'll get them as soon as they're available.

Edit: Oh here it is, Dahua's site can be a challenge. :) IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
Awesome thanks...yeah I am terrible at searching for some reason...

Found a Thread on it, kewl...

Last edited:

imow304

n3wb
Reaction score
@imow304

Stop being lazy and do your homework.
If you have enough free time to be a douche then surely you have enough time to make a valid suggestion, otherwise keep scrolling past my posts. Stop being lazy & do my homework? Lol I’ve read countless hours of security cam info & specs off & on for the past 2 years and still can’t figure it all out, so if you’ve learned all this technical stuff and was able to make sense of it then you have 2 gifts. Smartass. I deal in historic real estate and classic automobiles, nothing about either of which is technology related in the slightest of ways. It is possible that the question was worded incorrectly and therefore sounded different than I intended, but still your ugly gesture that a complete stranger was being lazy was very unnecessary. I have ZERO time for negativity. Say what you want but this is the only reply your irrelevant ignorance will get from me. Keep pushing, troll.

imow304

n3wb
Reaction score
The cameras I mentioned to you in your other thread will fit your needs.

For quality at 100-150 feet, you will NEVER get that with a 2.8mm camera. You will need a varifocal and the 2mp, 12x zoom is the one you most likely need. A fixed lens of say 60mm will cost you much more than a varifocal with capabilities up to 60mm.

What is your reason for no varifocal - they are the most versatile and allow you to dial it in to you situation.

But these are like automobiles - they are subjective and everyone on here will have their preferences. And a camera for one situation might not be the best camera in another situation.

@SouthernYankee posted a link in your other thread to all the reviews of cameras by folks on this forum. It is now your turn to review those, especially the videos so that you can see for yourself the performance of the cameras and imagine it to your location and if it is close enough in terms of ambient light, etc.

Most on here started the same route you did, bought a kit, bought another, and now to this point. I was there. These reviews and being able to see the cameras in action on the videos were instrumental in me to determine the ones I needed for my situation.
Thank you. Not only for contributing useful information but also for not being a smartass. I sincerely appreciate it!