Best camera for this shot? *Pic Attached

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have a 3MP JoVision Camera up there. I need a crystal clear image. Should be able to read white writing on tires of van and any cars license plates that pass behind van.

At night time many cars come towards camera with very bright lights. Do some cameras handle contrast/brightness better than others? What would I look for a beautiful night time shot without the cars lights flooding the camera? ( chip, technology, vendor etc. )

Thanks for your help.

truck.jpg

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Realistically you're going to need more than one camera. That's 3MP and the white writing on the van tyres is a smudge. Licence plates are only a few pixels.

You need a camera covering the choke point for licence plates with a good zoom and set for Back Light Correction. A wider high-resolution one for the writing on the tyres. But unless you are going to drop a few thousand per camera then you might have to drop your expectations a bit.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you expecting to read plates at night? because you wont get that and a beautiful night time shot out of the same camera at the same time.

License Plates at night require a dedicated camera for the job, its pretty much blind to anything not glowing like the sun.. see attached examples.

Attachments

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice shots of license plate! Never thought of using two cameras. Yes, would like to capture at night in BW mode.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok then, what's the maximum distance were working with here.. its all about optics and IR to get good quality like that.

also what's the distance from that curb to the back of the van?

get all those numbers, then go play with this site: http://ipvm.com/calculator come back with your results and we'll let you know if your even close or not. (hint, those images above are between 150-200ppf, depending on distance)

most of us have to use so much zoom most of the cheap and widely avilable cameras are of little use for LPR, once you need something better than 12mm your options are reduced dramatically.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thats the coolest tool Ive seen yet! very nice. thank you will calculate

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The real distance is 70 feet. I want to capture anyone messing with van door and any one driving behind the van. Would be nice to be clear enough for night time license plate read if they pass behind van. Please see image.

Untitled-5.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not going to work, gotta leave the van alone and go for that choke point.. if you want to watch the van you need another camera...

thats the exact same frame you have above, that clearly cant see shit.. zoom zoom zoom.. your @ 35ppf, and I am at 200ppf.. try again

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok changed choke point to just behind van and curb. Looking better now.

So this is telling me I need a 4MP cam with a 16mm lense?

Untitled-5.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
much better, can you move the camera any closer to the target area? if you can get it within 12mm you can do this for pretty cheap.. otherwise you might be swapping lenses.. license plates can be read from about 40 degrees off center.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I can move it to closer ledge on building. Putting distance about 50 feet.

12mm lense / 4mp camera

Do they make these in dome configuration? Longsee?

Whats your fav?

Untitled-5.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
domes suck ass outdoors, especially in that exposed location on a southernly facing side, where the dome will cloud up over time thanks to UV degradation on plastic.. also depending on how your mounting it, a bullet might be the best option.. your a steep angle off the building its mounted too.. if your attached to the front of the building domes/turrets will struggle to turn that angle.

check out this camera, its avilable in 12mm: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9954-Dahua-IPC-HFW4421D-AS-Audio-4MP-HD-WDR-Network-LXIR-Bullet

LongSe Ultra Low light destroyer is not avilable in 12mm, 6mm is the most it can do.. the optics are just not widely avilable for those mega sensors.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback and knowledge. Dahua cam you suggest looks pretty good. Glad it comes in 12m.

Side question

Whats your opinion on varifocial... Im asking because why not just buy a 3.6mm-12mm varifocial cam instead of a 12m fixed?

Better image quality if fixed?

Take a look at this bad ass S500 by longse

This is varifocial 2.8-12mm right?

Untitled-7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your feedback and knowledge. Dahua cam you suggest looks pretty good. Glad it comes in 12m.

Side question

Whats your opinion on varifocial... Im asking because why not just buy a 3.6mm-12mm varifocial cam instead of a 12m fixed?

Better image quality if fixed?

Take a look at this bad ass S500 by longse

This is varifocial 2.8-12mm right?

Untitled-7.jpg

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even the S400 - 4MP camera two spots above it for only $47 bucks. Is this a good cam to get in varifocal?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no thats a fixed 3.6mm board lens.. read description.

every single imx178 camera ive looked at is either 3.6mm or 6mm, never encountered a 12mm. but I have seen a varifocal that went up to 22mm, but its vanished from AliExpress.

I would not give Longse a damn dollar if it werent for the imx178 camera.. everything else they have looks like cheap ass junk.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh, I see now. Thanks.

What are you thoughts on varifocal vs fixed? Why not just get varifocal if possible to dial in yourself? Are fixed sharper?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
shrug, my money is on you'll buy a varifocal for LPR and set it to maximum zoom and never touch it again.. a manual one you have to manually adjust and focus is a pain for LPR, I have a varifocal on my LPR camera.. its at maximum zoom (60mm) and I have to go park a car in the middle of the street so I can adjust the focus on the plate.. I spend a few hours tweaking the focus to get it just perfect.

now if it was motorized varifocal, then tha'd be good for LPR.. you'd be able to focus it remotely with a decent sized screen.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
shrug, my money is on you'll buy a varifocal for LPR and set it to maximum zoom and never touch it again.. a manual one you have to manually adjust and focus is a pain for LPR, I have a varifocal on my LPR camera.. its at maximum zoom (60mm) and I have to go park a car in the middle of the street so I can adjust the focus on the plate.. I spend a few hours tweaking the focus to get it just perfect.

now if it was motorized varifocal, then tha'd be good for LPR.. you'd be able to focus it remotely with a decent sized screen.

Ahhh, thanks for your feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

60mm lense!!! :rolleyes: where did you find that puppy> nice