Best free external storage?

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you want to save video from your cameras, what is the best option if you don't want to store it local, in your home?
I guess there are plenty of options where you can store your video in the cloud for a monthly fee but if you want to do it free, what are the options.
What about setting up an ftp server at a friends house, would that be a good option or do you have some better ideas?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
waste of time, bandwidth and money, slap a SD card into the camera and record to it at same time.. there's your backup.

cloud storage and video surveillance dont mix, and I doubt you have the internet connectivity required for such activities.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you want to save video from your cameras, what is the best option if you don't want to store it local, in your home?
I guess there are plenty of options where you can store your video in the cloud for a monthly fee but if you want to do it free, what are the options.
What about setting up an ftp server at a friends house, would that be a good option or do you have some better ideas?
I am wondering what is it that you can't store locally but can store at a friends place. My mind is not in a nice place right now :). Edit: I misunderstood OP.

Not an expert's solution:
I know you can sync to a free cloud (dropbox, onedrive etc) with limits on how much you can store. Amazon has some stores like the S3 which (I've heard from a lot of people, unverified math) is a cheap pay as you go option. However that'll need some scripting and account setup. This is the option I would go for if the cost is not prohibitive. Still, not free.

Last edited:

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I was thinking was, if an intruder breaks in and steel the NVR or the computer with the videos stored you don't have any backup to show the police.
Same with local stored videos on a memory card if the steel the cameras.
I just do some hypothetical thinking now but I have to agree with nayr, sending huge video streams over the internet without very good and dedicated line all the way from a to b is not a good combination.

Too bad my cheap cameras don't have memory cards, they will have when I upgrade though...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes the NVR is made of steel, however if someone steals your NVR then you simply did a shit job of trying to hide it.. and nobody but the police has time to take down your cameras and steal them too, they are not interested in hawking your cameras.. they want to get recordings.. which few realize the cameras can store locally, because few set it up.. plus this lets you use the ANR feature if you got a camera/nvr that supports it (if NVR goes down it will replace missing footage with whats on the local SD)

easier to hide a lil ftp server holding the last day or two video on a small disk inside a wall or something.. look up pogoplugs, nice dirt cheap hackable lil linux machines w/sata port.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning everyone, as far as SD cards, any recommendations, there are tons out there. Do any SD cards work better than others for the Dahua cameras?
I have the (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) and the others are coming this week (HDBW4231F-AS)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
MLC, Avoid anything with the name SanDisk on em..

I been using Samsung Evo+ lately and they been holding up nicely.. I hear good things about Lexar High Endurance but they cap out at 64GB

Cheap budget/economy cards generally wont last long, and are TLC not MLC.. dont scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to flash memory.

Last edited:

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a maximum size they can take 64GB 128GB?
Thanks

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@nayr have you tested ANR to see how well it really does work its a real kickass feature
your current(soon to be old) nvr has that right?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
MLC, Avoid anything with the name SanDisk on em..

I been using Samsung Evo+ lately and they been holding up nicely.. I hear good things about Lexar High Endurance but they cap out at 64GB

Cheap budget/economy cards generally wont last long, and are TLC not MLC.. dont scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to flash memory.
I agree with @nayr's budget/quality choice for Samsung Evo+, although i believe the Evo Select is the same device and is what i have been buying (newer marketing).

I am not sure I can fully buy into the MLC TLC distinction. I know for sure that none of the consumer cards are SLC. The thing that matters is endurance for writes, with a speed above 10MB/sec. What you want is a card that is warranted to one drive write per day for more than 2 years. Unfortunately, consumer stuff does not normally have that data available. Enterprise class MLC (MLCe) has endurance above 1/day for 5 or more years, but costs butt loads. If your get three days before overwrite or more in your camera SD setup, a two year warranty should last a good while (6 years ideally, but don't count on that). Most consumer crap has no where near 1 write per day and 2 year endurance.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow! just looked up at Amazon 1 to 2 month wait for Samsung 128GB

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ok, which one of you purchased all of the worldwide stock or 128GB Samsung Evos? :) strange.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if it makes you feel any better it looks like the postal service lost it, been sitting at my zip code for 10 days after going through sorting.. sigh
Screenshot 2017-02-23 13.03.44.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird...I bought one from Amazon last week and another this week, got 'em both in 2 days o_O