best ipcams for this installation

m.sousa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking for a solution for cctv in the external area of this house. I looking the dahua soluctions but I'm a little lost with the new and old models. I'm think about 1 ptz camera and 2 more Bullet cams. I want to record the last 30 days, recommended a nvr or a sdcard in each cam?
What you recommend with a budget of 2000 euros. all the cams need to be installed on the wall of the center house for wiring reasons

the red lines I think about a ptz camera to cover all the front area
the blue line a normal camera to cover only the right side
the orange, a panoramic camera installed on top of the roof to cover all the back area.
what do you think about this idea?

thx

Last edited:

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
More information would be helpful, or diagrams of where you plan to install the cameras and what you are trying to record.
People usually want to record anyone approaching their front door, and any other possible entries into their house.

Bullets are not normally recommended, these Dahua Starlights should work instead
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Match the NVR to the camera, so get a Dahua NVR. Or get a PC and run Blue Iris on it.

m.sousa

n3wb
Reaction score
updated the main post to keep the things more explicit

thanks

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The orange one will let you see something is happening, but at that height, distance and angle it is unlikely you will be able to clearly see a face. If you have a back door or window to cover, this isn't going to work for that.

Blue is probably fine, depending on what you are trying to see.

Not sure about the PTZ. Is the plan to leave it facing one direction most of the time? Remember, 99.9% of the time you won't be there to control it. And you don't want it panning all the time as you can miss things that way.

I would recommend buying one of the starlights I linked to, mounting it on the end of a long piece of wood, and trying it out in the different locations, and see what it looks like.
Do this during the day and at night. Most "problems" occur at night, so you want to see that.

You can view with a PC, but you would need a way to power, POE switch or injector.

Randy

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See the Dahua Starlight thread here:
Keep in mind you want to see not only what happened, but who did it. So, you need to avoid wide FOV.
The Starlight Varifocal makes this easy.
Don't mount cams higher than 8' off the ground.
Stay away from Dome style cams.
Use this keeping PPF >100 to help determine placement and FOV.
Camera Calculator / Design Software