Best layout/setup practice for Brownstone CCTV

macutan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are currently in the process of remodeling our home and have been looking at designing a CCTV layout/setup before we go ahead and redo our facade.

One of the options we are considering to use is Dahua but, as we are not experts in this field, we do not know if we could get away with just one camera or if we may need two (or more) for the street side (front picture and satellite picture included below).

Any specific Dahua camera/nvr models that you guys could recommend us for this small scale setup? where should we place them?

Any guidande will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
macutan

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are currently in the process of remodeling our home and have been looking at designing a CCTV layout/setup before we go ahead and redo our facade.

One of the options we are considering to use is Dahua but, as we are not experts in this field, we do not know if we could get away with just one camera or if we may need two (or more) for the street side (front picture and satellite picture included below).

Any specific Dahua camera/nvr models that you guys could recommend us for this small scale setup? where should we place them?

Any guidande will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
macutan
What is your goal to see with the cameras?
Study this: Cliff Notes

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
--------------------------------------------
I am paranoid, I would use a minimum of two, better three cameras. Each camera should have another camera in it field of view. With one camera the bad guy will use a baseball bat and sent it to the here after. I would have two cameras mounted on the left and right of the door, up about 6 ft, pointed at the stoop and each other, the third camera above the door pointed down the stairs. If there is a way to mount a camera on the telephone pole pointed toward the door I would do that also.
--------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDW5231-ZE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Last edited:

macutan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you SouthernYankee for your response and quick bullet points with, very likely, years and years of experience. I'm putting together a spreadsheeet with options and budgets (pros/cons) and will plan thoroughly before buying, good thing is that we still have not closed any walls and routing wire is "cheap"!

macutan

n3wb
Reaction score
SouthernYankee, would you suggest for this case:

1) For Dashua cameras: eyeball type
2) NVR recomendation; I would like to find out, relatively quickly, from playback mode, when a package was taken (perhaps by drawing on an area of the screen a square and the system to showing me different moments where there was movement in that area.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not an NVR or camera motion detection expert. I use Blue Iris. I know you can configure the camera or the NVR with areas of motion detection.

I do all my motion detection in blue iris. You can set motion up for zone crossing, so the motion has to move from one area to another area. This helps reduce false positives. Shadows, lighting changes, cars with headlights can be seen as motion. On your setup, it will take some work to get the motion detection working.

If you go the NVR route, I would use an NVR from the same manufacture as the cameras. Get an NVR that is bigger than you thing you need, as you will more than likely be adding more cameras in the future. For example inside cameras pointing at the outside doors, baby monitors....

If using Dahua cameras look a getting them from Andy a respected and reliable forum member. You can contact via email, he has a amazon and aliexpress store. He provides cameras for review by other forum members.

@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
His amazon store Amazon.com: empire tech

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

macutan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, and yes, my intention is to shop from @EMPIRETECANDY and support the time he takes on contributing to this board.

Are you aware of any NVR that may be able to search on playbacks given an specific area drawn on the playback screen? (something similar to what I saw the Verkada cameras are able to do)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @macutan

iirc we've had a few members also with brownstone homes, and some have caught some good image / video captures.

You may want to see the following section
Camera Captures

I would be look at 3+ cameras covering the front. One eyelevel by the front door looking down.

one on each side of the front with their lines crossed mounted low enough at a good angle to get a straight on image of someone walking the sidewalk to your house.

If you park on the street I would consider an additional camera or 2 to cover the street... sometimes dump trucks hit parked cars.. really sucks without evidence.