Best location for Camera

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see that camera layout calculator mentioned all the time. If I'm not mistaken the minimum cost in order to make use of it is $99 for quarter year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see that camera layout calculator mentioned all the time. If I'm not mistaken the minimum cost in order to make use of it is $99 for quarter year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You can do one camera at a time for free.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where is the best place to install camera - Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
I don't see how you can do that with just one camera, unless you're looking for more of an "overview" kind of shot.

Normal advice is to keep the camera as close to head-level as possible (so you can capture faces), but if you do that, I don't see how you could cover the garage door, front door, and parking area in the same shot.

You could put the camera higher up on one corner, but the sacrifice would be be seeing more "tops of heads" than actual faces.

If you wanted to start with just one camera, see how it goes, and maybe add more, maybe put it to the upper left of the garage door (under the roof underhang), so it'd capture everything in front of the front door and in the parking area? Wouldn't get much of anything in front of the garage door, though?

I'm new to all of this, so that's just a random thought until some of the more seasoned pros come by. :)

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks.
the garage has now been converted and is now a living room
preference is house rather than car security

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's supposed to do double duty (door and car) then aristobrat's location is good but it'll have to stay angled away from the light beside it. Centered above the door under the soffit might be better horizontally (you want complete door and driveway entrance coverage) but gives a lot of down angle on faces, particularly up close. If you forget the car, then you'll get better approach shots of faces to the front door and cover the driveway better if it's to the right of the door at face height but to the left of "C" and under the soffit. An open door will block the cam a bit but you'll have excellent coverage of folks walking up to the door and waiting there. If the aim is to protect the house, then the door and driveway is the priority and you'll be adding more cameras to fill in the gaps which will probably cover the car incidentally anyway. Here, though, we get a lot more car prowlers than we do home break-ins although the latter is much more serious. I'd almost have two cameras at the door, one at my suggestion left of C and another above the letter slot (name plate?) under the soffit or a bit to the left and have it's FOV crossing the door and looking at the car's current parking spot.

It also looks like you may have a 2nd floor window problem with someone scaling the fence and then onto the garage roof. Don't forget an alarm system and make sure that window/room has intrusion protection hooked in.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope. Show me where a thief traveled when he stole your stuff and I'll show you where you should've had your cameras. Everything beforehand is just playing the odds guessing where they'll travel and where their face will be pointing. Control distance, angle, and lighting and you'll be printing mugshots like at the passport office.