Best non-Chinese camera/NVR brand?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could anyone please recommend a mid-high end non-Chinese surveillance camera brand? I just don’t trust Chinese manufacturers to not build a back door into their hardware.

...Especially after reading this:

Surveillance Cameras Made by China Are Hanging All Over the U.S.
1) I don't have a WSJ subscription, so I cannot read the article.
2) Finding a cam that is designed and manufactured solely in the good ol' U.S. of A. could turn out to be an insurmountable task!

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is the software/firmware, not the hardware. Chinese companies are required to have certain "features" for equipment sold in China, and I expect they don't change the program too much for exports.

The suggested method is use Blue Iris as the NVR, and keep the cameras in a separate network that doens't connect to the internet.

Ainsophaur

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is the software/firmware, not the hardware. Chinese companies are required to have certain "features" for equipment sold in China, and I expect they don't change the program too much for exports.

The suggested method is use Blue Iris as the NVR, and keep the cameras in a separate network that doens't connect to the internet.
Ok. What brands do you like? A lot of Dahua fans on here and it looks like they make a great camera—but it’s a Chinese company.

And if you want to be able to view the cams remotely you’d have to have them connected to the internet. Maybe put a separate hardware firewall between the network and the NVR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok. What brands do you like? A lot of Dahua fans on here and it looks like they make a great camera—but it’s a Chinese company.

And if you want to be able to view the cams remotely you’d have to have them connected to the internet. Maybe put a separate hardware firewall between the network and the NVR?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) router between the Internet and the NVR, as @NoloC mentioned above.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, you have 2 NICs on the BI box, and access it, not the cameras. At least with Windows, only MS is stealing your info, not a foreign government.