Best place to buy Cat 5 Cable online?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
CaliGirl,
Diagram looks good.
Loon2ns uses surge protectors at cams, w/ link to "nary appvd" protector.
If it's small enough, it might fit in the cam's junction box. Belt & suspenders maybe...
You might consider adding an external mic. It would require;
Poe splitter
Ext mic
Cam with external audio in ability
Junction box with adequate room

Then you could listen to howling winter winds.
Hear snapping tree limbs.
Howling coyotes
Etc

Have fun!
Fastb

drmdolfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Someone asked about Monoprice cable - I believe the monoprice cable I bought listed the manufacturer and also had the test report linked as well but I may be confusing it with another online supplier.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ended up going with Monoprice direct burial 1,000ft. unshielded.

I ordered yesterday and it arrived today. Overnight shipping was $8.95

Totally price was $116.88

1000ft Cat5e Bulk Bare Copper UTP 24AWG Outdoor Gel-Filled Direct Burial Solid Cable, Black Generic

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might consider adding an external mic. It would require;
Poe splitter
Ext mic
Cam with external audio in ability
Junction box with adequate room

Then you could listen to howling winter winds.
Hear snapping tree limbs.
Howling coyotes
I looked into this, unfortunately the vari focal Dahua I have doesn't have audio input capability I believe.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
for 23AWG cat6, wondering what RJ45 Modular connectors you guys got??

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another vote for monoprice. I bought 2 1000ft boxes of cat6 23awg solid to pull two runs at a time through attic. I was impressed with the quality of the cable
Hi...was wondering what kinds of ends you used for the 23AWG Cat 6?? Some i read reviews of, they said they thought it'd be a problem for 23AWG....

Squeeker

n3wb
Reaction score
I used EZ-RJ45 plugs. The wires push through the ends so it is really easy to see if you have it wired correctly. There is a special crimper to cut the ends off, but I use a standard crimper that I already had, and use a pair of wire cutters to trim it. I put the cutters on a grinder to make the back side flat so I can cut the wires flush to the plug. I've used them quite a bit with solid 23 AWG Cat6 and I've been happy with them.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used EZ-RJ45 plugs. The wires push through the ends so it is really easy to see if you have it wired correctly. There is a special crimper to cut the ends off, but I use a standard crimper that I already had, and use a pair of wire cutters to trim it. I put the cutters on a grinder to make the back side flat so I can cut the wires flush to the plug. I've used them quite a bit with solid 23 AWG Cat6 and I've been happy with them.
Thanks! I got these Ubigear ones from Amazon and seem to be very similar..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I buy all my cables from Monoprice. Been buying their cables for years.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So have most of you bought just standard cat5e or 6 and not shielded? I'm debating this for my purchase. Running ethernet cable into the areas I am going to be running them takes a lot of time and effort. I don't want to have to ever do it again. I will for sure go with Cat6 but just was curious how many of you use shielded???

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unless you are going over fluorescent lights or near ac motors. You shouldn't need STP cable. EMI is hard to predict in some cases. In my experience fluorescent lights are the most common. At least in a home or typical office. Though in an office building you can run into some multi-phase transformers for 220/440 AC. I've have problems back in the 90's where one department wanted to share a printer with another department. They bought a parallel switch and routed the cable through the drop ceiling. It was laying directly across the lights. The printer printed constant garbage. Once we moved the cable off of the lights. It printed fine. A similar thing happened with a department that did that but with a utp cat5 cable (unshielded).

In the houses I have pulled cable in over the years including mine. I used UTP CMR solid cable. That is unshielded riser rated solid wire. The riser is designed not burn. In case there is a fire. It will not be a conduit for the fire to travel on. In some cities building code. It is required to used. There is also a CM rated which is also called in wall rated. There is also CMP which is plenum rated. It is required for when you route the cable through the HVAC ducts. It is designed not to release fumes when exposed to fire. It also has a fire retardant like CMR cable does.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So do I. The older I get the less patients I have putting ends on category cable. These ends have kept me from throwing the crimper. ;-)

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ended up going with Monoprice direct burial 1,000ft. unshielded.

I ordered yesterday and it arrived today. Overnight shipping was $8.95

Totally price was $116.88

1000ft Cat5e Bulk Bare Copper UTP 24AWG Outdoor Gel-Filled Direct Burial Solid Cable, Black Generic
You must be near a Monoprice distribution center like I am. Whenever I order cable spools. It comes out of a dc 2 hours south of me. Any other cable HDMI, USB, etc all come their DC in California.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my garage, there is only fluorescent lights which in the next year or so will be replaced with LED but there is still the fluorescent lights there now. I guess it's probably worth it to get the shielded and pay the little extra it costs instead of having to redo the whole thing because of something else later down the road in the future.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've started using these

Cat6 Plug Solid W/Insert 50U 100pcs/Bag - Monoprice.com

The inserts hold everything in place prior to insertion and make for a quick & reliable termination. No special crimpers required.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my garage, there is only fluorescent lights which in the next year or so will be replaced with LED but there is still the fluorescent lights there now. I guess it's probably worth it to get the shielded and pay the little extra it costs instead of having to redo the whole thing because of something else later down the road in the future.
It will not hurt anything getting the STP (shielded) cable. If you have never crimped shielded cable. You will have a foil cover under the jacket. Under the foil you will have a plastic cover. If you are not using STP connectors. You can remove the exposed foil cover and plastic cover. Then you will have access to the twisted pairs. You can then crimp it just like you would with normal connectors. STP connectors are for when you intend on bonding the cable to ground point. In that case you need to leave 1/4 in of the foil on so it makes contact with the STP connector.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is an interesting design. I will have to bookmark them and try them some time.
They have been a lifesaver for me. The insert allows you to feed the wires through one at a time while holding all of the ones you've already fed through in place. From there, it's just slide the insert down until it's where you want it, snip the excess off, insert the whole thing into the connector as a unit and crimp. I've gotten to where I can terminate an RJ-45 now in about 5 minutes, maybe less, and that's from strip to crimp - easily half the time (if not less) that it used to require, and they just work, every time. I haven't had a single failed termination since I started using these things.