Best Router for IP cam remote viewing

thorholt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking at upgrading my old WRT54G Linksys router, I have a issue that when remotely watching the IP cam it will freeze for about 1\2 a second every 7-10 seconds, I am not sure if the router causes this or my Internet Provider, I have 20Mbps up and down speeds and it is fiber to the house, the modem is built into the provider's equipment so that cannot be changed, It is fairly new equipment so I would think it is ok, Also all of my IP cams do this, I have Dahua, Husien and a off brand, all of them are 1.3 or 2 MP cameras, I was thinking of trying a new router as this one is old an may be causing my freezes, I have used he "Speed Test" website and I do get my advertised speeds, any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're running fiber, those up/down speeds are being crushed by the capabilities of your router.

Whats your budget like?

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just bought this one https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC88U/

probably overkill, but I really really like it.. The wifi range is incredible. I was 250' from the router and still had great wifi signal. We have a tall entertainment center and I have the router setting 7' high..

thorholt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am pretty open on costs, I already got a lot invested in this stuff so I would like to see it work correctly, All Of my cameras are Ethernet wired so the wireless speed doesn't mean a whole lot but I assume that they go hand n hand with the higher speeds of the router? Do you think my current router is the problem?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Def check out a Nighthawk or any of the higher model Asus or if you want to stick with a Linksys they are great too.

I have an Asus RT-AC68p and I love it. Most of the higher end routers offer the same features. VPN, USB, MU-MIMO etc. They all have easy to use interfaces too. I'd say just google a few, read some reviews to see what you'd like and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you have plenty of upload speed for typical remote viewing scenarios. WRT54G is an old router to be sure, but if a speed test shows full speeds then I seriously doubt it is the problem.

What are you using for remote viewing? What device, what internet connection, and what application? What is your NVR? If you are viewing multiple cameras at the same time, do they all freeze at the same time?

If you remote view from inside your house from the same device without going over the internet (e.g. with wifi) then what happens?

thorholt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All good questions, As far as remote viewing, My apple products work well with no freezing, but they all use low amount of data compared to the PC, as far as viewing, Win 10, both IE10 and Firefox, The nvr is Dahua, and it is connected to dahua cams, The other cams have their own IP's and the freezing is consistent between them. No on viewing at the same time, I I do it becomes so slow you cant watch it, and if I remote view it within the house, no freezing, Thanks for taking the time to help!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like an issue pumping the streams outside the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it is streaming the main stream from all the cameras at once. Remote viewing of multiple cameras over the internet needs to use sub streams usually, and the sub stream bit rates need to be set fairly low.