Best value 16 channel NVR?

outdoort

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys. First post here, but ive been lurking for the last couple weeks trying to read as much as I can about poe cameras and such.

Determined I need to create a thread and try to get some help here. I want a nvr and I want it to be hikvison.
I need 16 channel/camera capability, but will really only have up to 8 cameras for now installed.

I was looking at the 16 channel, 8 poe port hikvison nvr from jmac supply. Hikvison DS-7616NI-E2/16P. Link below.

DS-7616NI-E2/16P - Hikvision

or spend more money and buy the :

DS-7616NI-I2/16P. I can get this for about 400 dollars from amazon or such.

This is for residential use. Plan on getting turret cameras like the hikvison darkfighter or trying out a couple dahua starlighter cameras. budget for the cameras are about 100 a piece.
Why spend the extra money on the better nrv?

Cant I just save some coin and buy the 170 dollar 8 port nvr and add a switch on a later date if I decide to take the nvr beyond 8 cameras? I only have about 500 for this project at the moment, so if I blow almost all that on a nvr, then I'll have to wait to get some more money for cameras (not a big deal if its worth it).

Or someone please reccomend a hikvison nvr from a seller that will serve me well. Any particular place I should buy the hikvision nvr? I read that I should just buy the us or international version and I can save money that way.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. First post here, but ive been lurking for the last couple weeks trying to read as much as I can about poe cameras and such.

Determined I need to create a thread and try to get some help here. I want a nvr and I want it to be hikvison.
I need 16 channel/camera capability, but will really only have up to 8 cameras for now installed.

I was looking at the 16 channel, 8 poe port hikvison nvr from jmac supply. Hikvison DS-7616NI-E2/16P. Link below.

DS-7616NI-E2/16P - Hikvision

or spend more money and buy the :

DS-7616NI-I2/16P. I can get this for about 400 dollars from amazon or such.

This is for residential use. Plan on getting turret cameras like the hikvison darkfighter or trying out a couple dahua starlighter cameras. budget for the cameras are about 100 a piece.
Why spend the extra money on the better nrv?

Cant I just save some coin and buy the 170 dollar 8 port nvr and add a switch on a later date if I decide to take the nvr beyond 8 cameras? I only have about 500 for this project at the moment, so if I blow almost all that on a nvr, then I'll have to wait to get some more money for cameras (not a big deal if its worth it).

Or someone please reccomend a hikvison nvr from a seller that will serve me well. Any particular place I should buy the hikvision nvr? I read that I should just buy the us or international version and I can save money that way.
Study this: Cliff Notes.
If you want all features to work, you need to keep the same brand of cams and nvr.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Go with quality.
On an NVR make sure that it has a high Mpbs value. There are a number of NVR that have a lot of ports, but can not process the load of high resolution cameras.

It is recommended to not mix NVR and cameras. Get the cameras and the NVR from the same manufacture and vendor.

Some manufacturers enforce region restrictions on equipment. For example An international NVR will not support Chinese hacked cameras for that manufacture.

Use a WD purple disk drive for surveillance video

-----------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Camera Sensor size info Sensor Size Chart Generally bigger is better

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvison DS-7616NI-E2/16P.
That's an obsolete EOL model that doesn't support h.265 nor in reality the new generaton of 8MP cameras.
Best avoided.
Check out @coney27 suggestion.

Cant I just save some coin and buy the 170 dollar 8 port nvr and add a switch on a later date if I decide to take the nvr beyond 8 cameras?
Nope.
An 8-channel NVR will only allow 8 cameras to be connected, by whatever method.

outdoort

n3wb
Reaction score
So this particular nvr is a 16 channel nvr. It only has 8 poe ports tho so I read that I should be able to get a switch and add all the way up to the 16 cameras...

Copy and pasted specs from amazon on this model in regards to the mbps:
  • Records up to 6MP IP Cameras; Incoming/outgoing bandwidth 160/80Mbps throughput

• Up to 2 SATA hard disks can be connected with up to 6TB capacity for each.(Hard drive not included)

• 16 independent 100 Mbps PoE network interfaces

I realize this is only a 5mp nvr, but with everyone always saying that the high mp cameras are bad in low light, why have the capability? I'm not sure I need 4k daylight cameras, I just need cameras that will be good for BOTH day and night.

outdoort

n3wb
Reaction score
Doing more reasearch on the bandwith question. Thanks southern yanky for bringing that up as I was not aware of that being a possible issue.

And do I really need h265 is my current thinking.... I have no Idea , but I read someone mentioning the blue iris users dont use h265, just h264...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
outdoort

Do the math for your cameras and frame rates, 16 cameras with 160 Mpbs is not going to cut it.

The data rate, depends on a lot of things, complexity of the image, quality of the image, frame rate, iframe, bite rate type, compression type, amount of motion.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
with everyone always saying that the high mp cameras are bad in low light, why have the capability?
The new generation 8MP 1/2 or 1/1.8 inch sensor cameras are very very good in low light - much better than the 'classic' 3MP and 4MP 1/3 inch cameras.

And do I really need h265 is my current thinking.... I have no Idea , but I read someone mentioning the blue iris users dont use h265, just h264..
True for current Blue Iris - but for the NVR solution, the storage requirements will be greatly reduced.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use h.265 in BI.
H.265 just will not work with the Intel hardware acceleration quick sync.
H.264 will work with the Intel hardware acceleration.
H.265 will work with NVIDIA GeForce

If you keep the NVR and cameras from the same manufacture, you may be able to use custom compression like h.265+

outdoort

n3wb
Reaction score
alastairstevenson, well if those 8mp cameras are better at low light, then I think that seals the deal for me on the better nvr. Are we talking about the "g1" 8mp camera from hikvision as one of the cameras that will fit into this category? Watched a vid on that from someone here on youtube. Seems like a good camera.

outdoort

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, well probably only gonna be able to get started with one camera then for now. Any hikvision reccomendations as a good all arounder for 100-150ish? Thanks.

outdoort

n3wb
Reaction score
got a question. I'm a ham radio operator and wondering if i should use shielded cat5e... I'm wondering if having the shielded wire would help prevent any potential interference to my radio equipment or also help prevent interference to the cameras when I'm operating....

freudious

n3wb
Reaction score
Amazon has a few renewed Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P NVRs for about $300. It looks like these carry a 6 month warranty and are U.S. firmware upgradeable from the Hikvision US website. If you dont mind renewed, it could save you $100+

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently am running out of bandwidth on my DS-7608NI-I2/8P with only 7 cams connected and downloading at 72mbps out of the 80mbps allowed. I'll be upgrading to the DS-7716NXI-I4/16P/4S that allows 256mbps downloads.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've been using BlueIris since 2011, has performed great for me just recording when there is motion. I just bought a used DS-7616NI-E2/16P so I can continuously record along with still using BI. I have 13 cams running and the bandwidth is at 54mbs. Five of the cameras are Hik 2335's, seven of them are Hik 2332's and one is a no name 20x PTZ. All cams are at full frame rate and 1920x1080, so far no issues with the used DS-7616NI-E2/16P.

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been using BlueIris since 2011, has performed great for me just recording when there is motion. I just bought a used DS-7616NI-E2/16P so I can continuously record along with still using BI. I have 13 cams running and the bandwidth is at 54mbs. Five of the cameras are Hik 2335's, seven of them are Hik 2332's and one is a no name 20x PTZ. All cams are at full frame rate and 1920x1080, so far no issues with the used DS-7616NI-E2/16P.
Good to know.. Thanks!