Best way for person detection down driveway, with push alerts to phone?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
My Ring doorbell despite being crappy, does do really, really well at person detection at my front door

I want the same thing down my driveway, but without the Ring doorbell

Can I get a Dahua cam that has person detection, and have it alert somehow into Blue Iris, and set Blue Iris to give me a push notification?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I do that with all of my "approach" cameras. Just set up a clone of the camera(s) that provide you the view(s) you want with detection zone(s) set up the way you need them, go to the Alerts tab and add SMS, email, sounds and whatever else you might want. I use a beep sound, named not kidding, for the driveway entrance (fairly long driveway) and a doorbell sound for the up close stuff, plus get SMS and emails. If you're running DeepStack the header can tell you what tripped it, car, truck, person or whatever. That will work with ONVIF triggers as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera still "does it", detection and sending alerts. DeepStack just gives another layer of filtering that can be very helpful at getting rid of false triggers as well as putting the source, as an object name, in the headers of the messages. Then again it keeps seeing one particular tree as a "person" when the light is right and the wind is coming out of the south (no kidding with the conditions).

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS if you have a camera that supports it. All the 5442's do this. You would setup BI to get the IVS alert and then push it to your phone.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I've found that IVS works better the more light you give it. So just be aware if your driveway is really dark, it may not work as well at night unless you go B/W with IR. It's just something you will have to test and play with.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I run both IVS and BI motion detection as a "fail safe". Each has their own advantages and weaknesses. DeepStack pretty much weeds out the weaknesses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Ring doorbell despite being crappy, does do really, really well at person detection at my front door

I want the same thing down my driveway, but without the Ring doorbell

Can I get a Dahua cam that has person detection, and have it alert somehow into Blue Iris, and set Blue Iris to give me a push notification?
take a picture of your night time angle shot view that you desire. Let's see the night time lighting in the area.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I have a "personal space" around my home that the IVS triggers are set-up for to send me an alert whenever someone enters those zones.

You simply set up BI to pull ONVIF triggers and turn BI motion detection off. Strongly suggest the clone method as @sebastiantombs mentions. I have yet to have a false alarm from my Dahua AI cams. I posted a picture in the thread below of my camera AI picking up someone in a blizzard that Deepstack misses. Deepstack when in triggering mode will increase the CPU as well, so depending on your system, it may be an issue.

Deepstack still will get false IDs. People are getting chairs going up their steps and what not LOL. I have a few non-AI cams that I use DS on but would prefer AI cams. Deespstack is certainly getting better though and does fill a niche and with a well defined BI motion detection setup, Deepstack can certainly knock out the few false triggers at that point.

Reaction score
Yep, I have a "personal space" around my home that the IVS triggers are set-up for to send me an alert whenever someone enters those zones.

You simply set up BI to pull ONVIF triggers and turn BI motion detection off. Strongly suggest the clone method as @sebastiantombs mentions. I have yet to have a false alarm from my Dahua AI cams. I posted a picture in the thread below of my camera AI picking up someone in a blizzard that Deepstack misses. Deepstack when in triggering mode will increase the CPU as well, so depending on your system, it may be an issue.

Deepstack still will get false IDs. People are getting chairs going up their steps and what not LOL. I have a few non-AI cams that I use DS on but would prefer AI cams. Deespstack is certainly getting better though and does fill a niche and with a well defined BI motion detection setup, Deepstack can certainly knock out the few false triggers at that point.

I still get false alarms from those shape-shifting HUMANS who disguise themselves as cats! :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still get false alarms from those shape-shifting HUMANS who disguise themselves as cats! :)
You gotta post a pic of that LOL.

Do you have min object size as 0,0 and let AI take care of it?

Did you calibrate the field of view under global config?

And then the opposite, if for some reason your field of view mistakes a cat for a human, then set a minimum size larger than a cat. But only do that if 0,0 doesn't work.

Reaction score
You gotta post a pic of that LOL.

Do you have min object size as 0,0 and let AI take care of it?

Did you calibrate the field of view under global config?

And then the opposite, if for some reason your field of view mistakes a cat for a human, then set a minimum size larger than a cat. But only do that if 0,0 doesn't work.
I have never tackled Global Config on any of my Dahua cameras. Maybe I should. There is little mention of it's purpose and instruction of use other than: DahuaWiki

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In most instances, the camera works fine without out it, but with the Global config, you take something like a yard stick and place it in 3 different areas vertically and 1 horizontal in the field of view and then draw a line the length of it in the global config and that helps calibrate it so that a little cat isn't mistaken for a human LOL.

Reaction score
In most instances, the camera works fine without out it, but with the Global config, you take something like a yard stick and place it in 3 different areas vertically and 1 horizontal in the field of view and then draw a line the length of it in the global config and that helps calibrate it so that a little cat isn't mistaken for a human LOL.
where is the @wittaj youtube channel? :)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
It took me a while, but I did finally set this up. I'm still fine tuning it, but it seems to be working well. I took @sebastiantombs advice and cloned the cameras, makes it much easier to mess with the motion zones

It did catch a shapeshifter though

Cat.jpg