Best way to plug 5/8 inch holes from pre-terminated cat5 cable runs?

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys -- trying to clean up my installation here and there, and I have 5/8 inch holes from running pre-terminated cat5 cables. There's obviously relatively large gaps remaining after running the terminals through the holes, so I'm wondering what's the best way to temporarily or semi-permanently plug those gaps up nicely and cleanly? (But not fully permanently plugging them up, since I might want to tweak that cable run later for some reason.)

I was thinking of buying that foam insulation spray stuff and spray some in there, but that seems too permanent. Same problem with caulking...

So then I was thinking maybe some removable squishy foam things could be inserted?

Or maybe some rubber grommet of some kind?

What do you guys do?

Also consider I do have a couple runs to external cameras. The outside cameras cover the 5/8 inch holes externally, but it seems like those in particular need plugging or treatment of some kind.

Right now I do nothing and it feels like I made Swiss cheese in parts of my house.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys -- trying to clean up my installation here and there, and I have 5/8 inch holes from running pre-terminated cat5 cables. There's obviously relatively large gaps remaining after running the terminals through the holes, so I'm wondering what's the best way to temporarily or semi-permanently plug those gaps up nicely and cleanly? (But not fully permanently plugging them up, since I might want to tweak that cable run later for some reason.)

I was thinking of buying that foam insulation spray stuff and spray some in there, but that seems too permanent. Same problem with caulking...

So then I was thinking maybe some removable squishy foam things could be inserted?

Or maybe some rubber grommet of some kind?

What do you guys do?

Also consider I do have a couple runs to external cameras. The outside cameras cover the 5/8 inch holes externally, but it seems like those in particular need plugging or treatment of some kind.

Right now I do nothing and it feels like I made Swiss cheese in parts of my house.
HI @ipcdal

depends on where the holes are ..

5/8" hole .. thus why I like running bulk cables ...

Do you have pictures to share of the hole and camera mounting ?

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have pictures to share of the hole and camera mounting ?
Unfortunately, nothing handy or accessible! I may take a shot though when/if I decide to plug these up!

Reaction score
5/8" hole .. thus why I like running bulk cables ...
+1 on running bulk cable not just for the size of the hole but the quality of the wire and the connectors. I bought two 1000’ boxes of monoprice bulk cable and probably have over 1000’ left over. But, the cost of labor running two cables at a time versus the cost of the cable, well, no comparison.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1 on running bulk cable not just for the size of the hole but the quality of the wire and the connectors. I bought two 1000’ boxes of monoprice bulk cable and probably have over 1000’ left over. But, the cost of labor running two cables at a time versus the cost of the cable, well, no comparison.
In a perfect world, I would have done things VERY differently. My installation is far from "professional" and frankly some of it is kind of embarrassing. :oops::facepalm:

But ya gotta learn sometime, and well, let's say next time I'll do it "right."

In the meantime I'd like to eventually go back and plug some of these darn gaps.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Coax Seal is an option. Very pliable and waterproof, can be smoothed to a clean finish.

Buy the Klein Cat tool and pass through connectors for any future runs, if I can do it anyone can :D

Coax Seal can be found on Ebay in small (5 foot) qtys.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Coax Seal is an option. Very pliable and waterproof, can be smoothed to a clean finish.

Buy the Klein Cat tool and pass through connectors for any future runs, if I can do it anyone can :D

Coax Seal can be found on Ebay in small (5 foot) qtys.
Interesting! Do you mean this one?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I'm planning on playing around with three options soon -- I've already ordered Coax Seal, I'll go to Home Depot for duct seal putty, and I'll also pick up some silicone calking. Between those three, I think I'll be covered!

And next time I run cat5/6 cable, I'll buy that Klein tool and some pass thru connectors and try to do a more respectable job! :cool:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I'm planning on playing around with three options soon -- I've already ordered Coax Seal, I'll go to Home Depot for duct seal putty, and I'll also pick up some silicone calking. Between those three, I think I'll be covered!

And next time I run cat5/6 cable, I'll buy that Klein tool and some pass thru connectors and try to do a more respectable job! :cool:
@ipcdal are the holes in the wall or the soffit ?

That is are they protected from water?

also .. do remember to install a drip loop if you have the cables exposed outside running to the camera ..

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ipcdal are the holes in the wall or the soffit ?

That is are they protected from water?

also .. do remember to install a drip loop if you have the cables exposed outside running to the camera ..
Thank you for that tip about a drip loop. I did not know about that. :facepalm:

And yes, the existing holes are more or less protected from water, fortunately. Not perfect though. I do need to go over everything and tweak things. And I might be forgetting something awful. There's a lot I didn't know when I put these in, and there's a lot I obviously still don't know.

Thanks again, been super helpful!