Best way to "run as service" ?

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a search on the general forum, looked at the wikki.....a lot of references to running BI as a service so that if windows crashes it will automagically restart and run, but I havent seen any sort of how to.....

My BI system has been remarkably stable (knock wood) for the past weeks....but it did inexplicably reboot ONCE. Maybe a windows critical patch or something..I have updates "paused" etc.

But what is the preferred way to run BI as a service? I have never set that sort of thing up.

So far, the most "idiot friendly" how to I have seen is this.......
How to Run Any Program as a Background Service in Windows

Also found this:
NSSM - the Non-Sucking Service Manager

Also, is "BI TOOLS" worth loading? It says its "watchdog" portion will restart BI if it crashes (and when, I assume, Windows doesnt crash), send an email if it crashes etc

I dont want to break my system now that it is stable...LOL...but like those added features.....best version and place to download?

Thanks folks.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a simple checkbox in the Blue Iris set up page....

BI Tools was created before recent versions of BI added many of the items you are asking for. You can set up BI5 to run as a service and send an email to you if it crashes and restarts.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks to you both! Sorry for asking what I am sure is the 10,000th time you guys have answered this question..... LOL

I assumed it had to be soemthing done within windows and researching that started to make my brain hurt.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SO,......talk about irony....

I just sat down to try what you guys are saying and it looks like BI crashed out..... :(

I was met with the windows lock screen.

Gonna set up as a service now...or at least try.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have mine set to run as a service from the BI console setting. Additionally, the PC reboots on power up and auto logs in to get BI back up ASAP if the UPS runs out of battery before the generator gets transferred manually. The reboot on power up is a BIOS setting in the PC but not every BIOS supports it.