Best way to sync a Dahua nvr to external NAS?

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dahua 16port NVR on the way and I wanted to hear about how people are keeping their footage in sync with a secondary data source in case the nvr is compromised?

Looking for a realtime sync solution.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I put SD cards into the cameras and enable ANR on the NVR tha'll redownlaod missing video after a NVR outage.. Backup recording typically only needs the last day or so, anything important you'll discover missing within that time.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah not an option for me as my cameras don't have sd slots. This is more in the case of someone taking the nvr with them

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most dahua's have microsd card slots on em, what model u got?

if someone takes NVR cameras are still up and have everything recorded until they were unplugged on local storage..

Whats keeping em from taking the nas? hide the NVR

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got the 4421E's mostly, don't recall seeing a microSD slot.

The NAS is bolted into my server rack and the NAS syncs to another NAS which I keep offsite. I'll probably also setup snapshot ftp to one of my vps cloud servers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Constant writing of garbage data to your main NAS is really abusive on disks dedicated to important tasks, you really only needa keep the last day or so.. pretty easy to hide a backup storage device somewhere on network and write to it w/ftp or nas storage directly from camera.. pogoplugs make decent lil backup fileservers for cameras.

nothing's stopping you from bolting NVR down to a shelf and bolting shelf into cabinet if you think that'll slow anyone down.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's a dedicated NAS for my surveillance and I am only recording to NVR on motion detection. I'm not using continuous recording. The HDDs I'm using are the ones for surveillance use as well.

But my issue is how to sync the nvr to the nas? The nvr unfortunately isn't something I can hide away.

Is it possible to ssh to it and setup a rsync cronjob for example?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, your worried about offsite backups and your NVR's being stolen yet you cant be bothered to record continuously? Leme guess your also running a raid lol

Dont your cameras have NAS storage direct as an option? Why require the NVR to do it when the cameras can do it them selves w/out the need of a NVR?

No you cant SSH into the NVR and grab files off a cronjob, first of all its a read only environment with no SSH, secondly the cameras write directly to disk w/no mounted filesystem you can copy off of.

NVR's dont support NAS storage, they are supposed to be writing to local disks.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can record continuously and will when my 6tb drives arrive but for now it's set to on motion detection. The nvr is not running RAID.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Rather than have the camera record to 2 network devices, I thought it would be easier to record to one and then sync that. Are you suggesting that I record to 2 devices instead? The 2 being the nvr and a nas.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im talking about your NAS being in a raid..

Rather than have the camera record to 2 network devices, I thought it would be easier to record to one and then sync that. Are you suggesting that I record to 2 devices instead? The 2 being the nvr and a nas.
thats exactly what I've been suggesting, its better for your backups dont require the NVR even be online.. otherwise its not much of a backup huh?

Defacto Redundancy for IP Video Surveillance is redundant recorders.. less points of failure.. the cameras can support multiple recording solutions simultaneously w/no issue.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NAS is my onsite backup, all my backup servers have redundancy so yes it has raid.

I'll check my camera settings again to setup the NAS as a secondary recording source. I don't recall the option but then again I wasn't really looking for it on the camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RAID has no place in video surveillance, your just increasing power consumption and downtime for no real gain.. like I said, if you require redundancy record to 2 separate devices simultaneously.. no point in having all disks powered up and writing constantly when most of em can sleep until they become active.. you'll get longer life out of the drives with a JBOD and if a disk fails just swap it out, or deactivate it and dont worry about rebuilding.. Almost everything written is garbage that wont ever be looked at, unless you live in a terrible place just a few mins of recording a year is all thats gonna be important.. Then your backing up your NAS to another NAS and then backing up offsite to internet, how much redundancy do you require? Banks dont go through this much trouble and they have alot more regulations to maintain.

Its entirely possible your cameras wont support NAS recording.

Last edited:

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so plan A is to record to both, but if my Dahua doesn't support this, my original question still stands, how do you achieve redundancy when you use the nvr.

Btw, my former role was in IT in a bank and I can assure you that their backup process is far more robust than mine, 5 9's, n+2 etc...