Best wireless outdoor ip-camera for my squirrelbox

Stutti

n3wb
Reaction score
G'day!
Perhaps a bit of a strange question on this forum but with the internet flooded with all these different brands and types of ip-cameras my head can't stop spinning and I can't seem to differentiate between crap and quality cameras. My long list of demands doesn't help in my search. I was hoping I could find some expert advise on this forum.

Last winter I have build a couple of squirrel breeding houses high up in the trees in my backyard. I now want to fit one with an ip-camera so I can follow the daily life of these creatures from the comfort of my couch or the beach watching it on my pc, smartphone or tablet. After a bit of research what is possible with these ip-cameras I have come up with a list of demands I would like but finding that one camera that does it all and is not crazy expensive proves to be quite hard (to me). I was hoping that I could list my demands and if anyone can then recommend me a good but affordable camera then that would be very much appreciated. Here are my needy demands:
- wifi
- outdoors (preferable squirrel vandalism free as well!)
- internal microphone
- sd-card (at least 32G)
- infrared
- color
- good in close-up footage (+/- 15cm/6 inches minimum)
- can be watched in an app
- cloud storage
- notification when movement is detected
- can be modified to connect to an external 12V/110V/220V battery
- as small and lightweight as possible (dome camera?)

Preferred demands but no necessity:
- PTZ
- zoom
- camouflage color :)

Am I being too picky here? Please let me know.

Regards,

Pete (from the Netherlands)

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow a squirrel breeding box, the red squirrel is my sworn enemy I assume you want to breed them to feed your snake. I trap them, hunt them, kill any one of those little bastards I can find. They have eaten my Jacuzzi, my garage, my wife's engine compartment. I would not be attracting squirrels to my place if I was paid $100 per tail. Now the grey squirrels I like but, those red son of a bitches are my sworn enemies and trap season starting this weekend in my world. If it were me making a nice box for them to visit and breeding in would have a steel door slam close and then that snake you have would drop into the box. Oh sorry for my rant, I did post last year on a tiny cam for like $25 with POE and IR but, those frigging squirrels ate it too !

Stutti

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow a squirrel breeding box, the red squirrel is my sworn enemy I assume you want to breed them to feed your snake. I trap them, hunt them, kill any one of those little bastards I can find. They have eaten my Jacuzzi, my garage, my wife's engine compartment. I would not be attracting squirrels to my place if I was paid $100 per tail. Now the grey squirrels I like but, those red son of a bitches are my sworn enemies and trap season starting this weekend in my world. If it were me making a nice box for them to visit and breeding in would have a steel door slam close and then that snake you have would drop into the box. Oh sorry for my rant, I did post last year on a tiny cam for like $25 with POE and IR but, those frigging squirrels ate it too !
Hi Jack, thanks for your great feedback. That really helped! :) These are wild squirrels and squirrels are not that common where I am from and they keep a fare distance to humans so I can't really relate to all your issues. We've got plenty of buzzards and sparrowhawks around that keep the population to a minimum as well. Let me know, when you get over the idea that someone likes squirrels, what sort of camera would suit me best. Cheers

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recall it was called the 201 here is a link to similar camera. You want tiny, POE and IR. If you look on ALiexpress you should find for under $40.
just spend a bit of time on Ali and you will find what you need. You didn't mention if you have NVR or POE switch etc. The camera below I am just showing as example as I do not own this camera nor have i tried it but, on sale for $21 bucks so worth a go.
DONPHIA POE Mini IP Camera Full HD 1080P IR leds day night vision 2.0MP Security Network Camera P2P Onvif mobile remote monitor-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This video is just some guy as an example of how you might set up. It is kind of funny he says not many like his camera in the industry but, there are millions of them.

I found this and had to add as this guy almost killed by squirrel on a ladder that high pissing around with the devil dogs. The Elmer Fudd of squirrel fighters reall funny with a super high ladder, power lines wow I was hoping for a Darwin award. I fell off ladder much lower and this Mr'Fudd would have died if he fell.

I found the same guy on this video catching a bat ! Two of my fellow Canadians in action against an extremely dangerous beast.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait...Squirrels will eat anything?! :D lol

Stutti

n3wb
Reaction score
I recall it was called the 201 here is a link to similar camera. You want tiny, POE and IR. If you look on ALiexpress you should find for under $40.
just spend a bit of time on Ali and you will find what you need. You didn't mention if you have NVR or POE switch etc. The camera below I am just showing as example as I do not own this camera nor have i tried it but, on sale for $21 bucks so worth a go.
DONPHIA POE Mini IP Camera Full HD 1080P IR leds day night vision 2.0MP Security Network Camera P2P Onvif mobile remote monitor-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This video is just some guy as an example of how you might set up. It is kind of funny he says not many like his camera in the industry but, there are millions of them.

I found this and had to add as this guy almost killed by squirrel on a ladder that high pissing around with the devil dogs. The Elmer Fudd of squirrel fighters reall funny with a super high ladder, power lines wow I was hoping for a Darwin award. I fell off ladder much lower and this Mr'Fudd would have died if he fell.

I found the same guy on this video catching a bat !

Haha! Great videos! European squirrels are a lots less bold than those from across the big pond that's for sure. The camera you suggested is okay but doesn/t tick all the boxes, unfortunately. I am more looking at real security cameras that have wifi, that I can connect with an external battery, sd card and cloud service. I don't want 10's of meters of wires going through my backyard and into my house. I've seen one from foscam that ticks all the boxes but it's too big and heavy and way too expensive.

Stutti

n3wb
Reaction score
Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1.3 Megapixel Wi-Fi Vandal Dome IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, IK10 Vandal-Proof, 1.3MP (1280x960 TVL), IPM-751B (Black) What do you reckon? No microphone though..

Stutti

n3wb
Reaction score
You will learn wifi sucks but, I tried.
Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1.3 Megapixel Wi-Fi Vandal Dome IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, IK10 Vandal-Proof, 1.3MP (1280x960 TVL), IPM-751B (Black) What do you reckon? No microphone though..

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just loaded the trap , 3 peanuts I will bet a victim in under 15 minutes. It's a live trap, I will mail you the devil if you have shortage in Europe.

I wish we could post a live feed or video without going to link our other private info like using you tube. I would have a live feed going right now with a count down.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Open up a throwaway email address with, say, JackBNimble@gmail.com and use it to open up a JackBNimble account on YT. If you don't use either for anything else then they're separate from your other online "life".